Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field-dressing a doe

Old 11-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Field-dressing a doe

I'm heading out for a management hunt next week, and we're encouraged to take does. Since I have not yet harvested a deer of any sort (you'd think I would have after three years of hunting), I haven't had to field-dress one. I can find all sorts of reference material about field-dressing bucks, but nothing about how to deal with a doe in the field. Since we have to preserve the proof of sex in Virginia, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'm sure that there's a procedure for this, but I can't find it anywhere on the Internet. I'd appreciate any guidance you'd care to give. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field-dressing a doe

It's easier than dressing out a buck. Cut around the A-hole, then slit 'em to the brisket, and go from there! I keep the head in a plastic bag until I get home, as proof of sex. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if your just field dressing it ,if you need proof of sex ,thats no problem the doe will have multiply teets. No reason to cut them off.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your talking about field dressing the deer and to me that means you remove the guts but leave the hide on the carcass. The fact the deer has no antlers should suffice for legal purposes of an antlerless tag. JIC you could take the cape with you to transport until you get home, if skinning in the field. Here one must leave one rear leg attached for both proof of species/sex if skinned, so female or male parts aren't really required to be kept as proof!
Old 11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter is exactly right. One other option this year would be to call the deer in using the automated checking system prior to field dressing if you have a cell phone and have service.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:38 PM

I usually cut above the milk bag and gradually pull it down and out of the way and get it off before i start with teh guts. i would just keep teh head or cape as ID.

slayer
Old 11-07-2004, 01:29 PM

Thanks, everybody, for all the great information. I just got back from scouting the management hunt site and found a few likely-looking spots. Hopefully I'll be able to put your tips to good use soon. If so, I'll let you know. Thanks again.