Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 list of necessities to pack for deer hunting >

list of necessities to pack for deer hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

list of necessities to pack for deer hunting

Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 AM

Default list of necessities to pack for deer hunting

I'm going to start early this year to avoid a last minute rush to find everything to pack and/or carry into the woods with me for the first day of rifle season. Here's what I have so far, if you can add anything to it, please do.

knife
drag
pen/pencil
watch
warm gloves
latex gloves
scent killer
jon-e-handwarmer and fluid
flashlight (with good batteries)
zip lock bags (for liver & heart)
hard candy
thermos
lunch

spare:
wool socks
warm gloves
long johns

i'm sure i'm forgetting something
Old 10-24-2004, 03:50 PM

Default RE: list of necessities to pack for deer hunting

Two way radio? I always carry my GMRS/FRS even when not with a buddy. Everyone knows I carry it so if I take a fall and break a leg etc... and don't make it back when scheduled they know to just come into the general area and start searching and calling on channel 15/15. It's my opinion that these days with these little light weight radios selling for as cheap as 15 bucks and 30.00 for a set of 2 with a charger, no one should ever have trouble being found when lost or hurt out in the sticks. I know everyone has excuses as to how it would'nt happen to them but every year I hear some story or several about how someone gets in trouble and stuck in the woods suffering for a couple of days and sometimes not making it out alive.

Metro
Old 10-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

**** paper LOL
Old 10-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Spike

Don't know where you'll be hunting, but always, always be ready for the worst! Try the following:
[ul][*] Very, very loud whistle (for signaling, if you get hurt/immobilized or find someone that is)[*] Space blankets (very small packages, very good for improvised tents and warmth)[*] A rescue strobe light -- $15-20, can be seen at night for miles[*] A windproof lighter AND waterproof matches AND cotton balls, in case you need to make a fire
[/ul]
You'll always have an easier time improvising if you have confidence that you've packed a few survival items along. If nothing else, it'll help you keep your wits about you. Hope this helps -- good luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may wish to include; Rifle, Ammunition, Raingear, Water, Toilet Paper, Map of hunt area, compass (and optional GPS)
A friend of mine is great for making lists, but seems to always forget at least one of the above items which he considers so basic as not to require adding to his list.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

A Bearer to carry all the above stuff!!!

I go light a phone I have good signal where I hunt
drag rope . latex gloves, gutting knife , water, cough drops, an apple, tywrap for tag,
flashlight, rifle & bullets, some paper towels for cleaning glasses and rear.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Numero uno-HUNTING LICENSE!

2. PERMITS!

3. WRITTEN PERMISSION (if private land)

4. ( almost as important as 1, 2 & 3 ) A GREAT, POSITIVE ATTITUDE & WILLING TO ADMIT MISTAKES AND LEARN FROM THEM. ( Year after year! )

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 10-25-2004, 07:18 AM

no written permission needed here, we are all jus a bunch of "good ole boys" who work, party and hunt together (but we don't party while hunting no sir). the TP was a good one.........can't believe i forgot that one. it's not fun using leaves to wipe your A$$!!! also the liscense and tags is a good point. i remember when i was 13, my brother's, father, and myself had to drive a good hour from camp to our spot. we got out of the truck and my dad asked me (for the second time-he asked me at camp too and i said yes) if i had my liscense and low and behold it disapeared right off the middle of my back. someone in the tooth-fairy form must have taken it back to the coffee table at camp!!! lol my dad was hot let me tell you!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have everything i may need or use, in a tote bend in my truck, i dont carry stuff that i may need, i carry the stuff i will need. If i may need something i will walk my big arse down to the truck and get it if i need it bad enough!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:29 PM

Moonpies very important....

Quick Reply: list of necessities to pack for deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.