Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need quick attractant

Old 10-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need quick attractant

On new lease this yr, and haven't had much time to be out in the woods, only twice. Have found an area I want to set up in, and wondering if I should put something out to help bring them in, or is it too late. I usually put out corn feeders in the summer, but did not get on this place until Sept, then couldn't get out to look it over until recently due to work/weather. Would corn or a molasses block work, buck jam, peanut butter, etc... I know there are a lot of hogs on the place, and I really don't want the hogs to be hanging around much in deer season. Would anything I put out to attract the deer also attract the hogs? Maybe I should just put out the deer estrous type scents so that I don't have the hogs up the stand with me. Any thoughts?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need quick attractant

the best thing i have found was by accident, go to a feed store and get some all grain sweet feed, pour it out, i fed a friend of mines horses once for a week and the deer where standing there waiting on it, i guess its the molasses, but they love it.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:32 AM

The pigs will be around during Deer season. . . .you see one shoot it, let it lay and wait for your Deer, could end up with a 2fer. . . . If you already have good traffic in your area just get your feeder going and it will only take a few days before the critters start doing drivebys.

As for preferred treats. . .I tried lots of stuff, plain ole corn will do fine.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:14 PM

mthands i also use sweet horse feed(with the oats,corn,molasses mixed).i was just wandering if you spread yours or just dump a few piles?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey eddie behind the house i put it out in piles to start with, now i spread a little out, wife loves to watch'em, i've also put in some plots. the problem i was having with corn is it was molding before being eaten, i think the smell of the sweet feed brought em in though, just my thoughts though.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:36 PM

yea i believe they smell the molasses in the feed and it puts them on top of it
ive also got a nice lil hole dug from whitetail addiction and a 25 lb. whitetail block i also got at the feed store.it has like corn,apples,molasses,honey and all kinda other stuff in it.they like it too.