Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shots on does

Old 08-12-2004, 09:48 PM

Default head shots on does

how many shoot does in the head ...............it is a practice ive been doing since my grandfather taught me how not to mess up any meat.

[b]Allow me to enlighten you......
HNI does not allow posts that may give Antis fuel for the fire so to speak....this is one of those "classics." If I may let me put some quotes up from others on this thread prior to the deletion of this thread!

quote:
I have been hunting hogs for 15 yrs now......every hog i kill is a behind the ear , in the ear of just under the neck.

First of all hogs arent deer. They don't move like deer, they don't act like deer, the target area behind the ear of a hog is bigger than most doe heads so your bragging means nothing.
In fact the limited margin of error and the greatly increased chance of inflicting great suffering on the deer causes me to question why any one would do it.

a couple ribs aren't worth it.............
Yes, It can be done. A simple 22 will drop them on the spot. For the record, I have never engaged in this. I just know it can be done.
Yep, I have not done it either....and not accusing one of being a poacher....however after working with the GWdn's in my area of the state for years I have seen small caliber rifles used to take deer in and around the head area. Poachers do this more often than not because the repeat of a small caliber is often not noticed......especially in rural areas as a larger caliber such as a 30.06 might be. That is not the point however and I am not suggesting that anyone here is poaching....

As members of HNI and this board it is important that we not give the Anti's anymore fuel for they fire.....this thread may aswell have been a gas can and then put a torch to it!!!

My personal opinion is as 98% of the replies to this topic posted that this practice is either unethical and/or unwarranted shooting....!! To each their own....however I will not allow a post such as this to stand on the board, Period!!

A couple of the posts were just more information than anyone needed to know! Not needed!!

In all my years of hunting I have been one shot one kill....and gone for the boiler room. And I spend alot of time on the range so NO one give me the BS about being an excellent shooter.....I do not care how good I think I am...there is always a margin for error out there..... and I am not willing to cross that line out of respect for the animals I hunt!! Neither should you!!

Its not what you harvest...
Its what you learn...
Christine
Old 08-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: head shots on does

ttt
Just wanted to make sure this was seen. So that if the poster of this thread and one other did not get the emails sent to them....you would have something here to read. Thanks again.