Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer? >

How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Old 05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

I know this answer can vary depending on which state/province you hunt. As for me, it was my 3rd season in New England. My first two were limited hunting in NH and when I went to Maine for my first year (of many) I tagged my first deer...nice buck. Something tells me (by the way I worded the Subject) I'm gonna hear answers in hours, not years....
Old 05-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

It took me 4 years to tag my first deer. 4 does approached me coming down a creek bottom, and I zapped the largest one of the bunch with my grandpa's pre 64 Winchester Model 94 30-30. At 60 yds, the shot entered the front left shoulder, penetrated the entire body, and exited the rear right ham. The deer did a complete 360 upon bullet impact, ran about 40 yds, leaving a good blood trail, and fell over.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 AM

Jimmy S, good call on subject. I was gonna say about 5 minutes to fill out the tag and tie it around her ear.

Mine was 3 years, shot a small yearling doe with my bow at about 10 yds. Total luck that i even saw her but she was so small, qtring away and looking at me over her shoulder, i aimed for the heart and hit her in the eye, only off by a few inches but that's how small she was. She dropped instantly.

The first deer I hit was a 6 pt. buck with my bow. A perfect lung shot that didn't go through. Now I was about 12 and didn't know anything about "waiting to track" so I literally jumped out of my stand and started running after the deer. He went by my friends stand and off in to the woods. I got to my friends stand and he stopped me and explained what I should have done but it was already to late, that deer was probably in the next County. We looked for days and then looked for buzzards, nothing.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Mine was on the third year; I was 17 I think. I was playing football 2 weeks before the season and broke my ankle and was on crutches. My dad and uncles set up a stand about 150 yards from camp that I could get to on crutches. First morning after about an hour a big doe and 2 fawns came through. Dropped the doe where she stood with the first shot and got the 2 fawns with the next 6 shots as they ran around, not knowing where to go. Yes, it's known a buck fever, big time. My rifle was an old bolt action army Springfield with open sights.

BTW, the doe was bigger than an eight point one of my uncles shot!

Bruce
Old 05-24-2004, 01:20 PM

I took my first deer the first year I hunted by myself in New Hampshire. Took me a long time, almost 3 months and countless trips from September 15th with a bow till rifle season where I was "lucky" enough to take a beautiful mature 8 point at the end of November.

I've shot a lot of deer since, travelled all over the country .. and it's still the largest buck I have taken and the hardest I have worked for!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:40 PM

I was about 13 i think. i finally had shot a doe.
i am almost 40 now and have taken a deer or multiple deer every year except one that i was in korea.
Now my son took his first at 9 and is now 14 and has tagged out for the last three years. he took the biggest buck in our club this year. there were some grown men jealous but he pays his dues and outhunts all but me!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:41 PM

My 3rd year when I was 14. It was a button I shot it on a drive we had hit one lungwith my 870 20 ga it went about 70 yards droped got back up and dropped right back down.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

About the third day of my first season. I was 12. We were walking a long draw and I was almost to the top side. A mule deer buck came running up one of the little feeder draws and almost knocked me down. I had to dive on the ground to keep from getting run over. I got up on one knee and was lucky enough to shoot him in the back of the neck as he ran away from me. I say lucky because I was a bit shaky and my heart was pounding like a jackhammer. I don't think he ever even saw me.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i believe it was 3 years.....
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

twenty minutes

Quick Reply: How long did it take you to tag your 1st deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.