Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Luck in deer hunting

Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Luck in deer hunting

I think that James B summed it up pretty well.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:54 AM

I look at it from the long-term, consistency viewpoint. There is good luck and bad luck in just about all of life's ventures. Stuff happens for whatever reason, nobody can predict. Put the effort into any endeavor and over the long haul you will become a consistent winner. Those who really do well in the stock market, for example, put in the time and effort to learn the market, invest in a timely manner when a choice seems to be correct and then grow your portfolio with a long-term determination. Same with hunting and fishing, the more you know about your game, over the long haul, you will be a CONSISTENT WINNER and not just a lucky SOB.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

some guys its basically 100% luck.......like the guys that are lucky to shoot once a year......dont scout........and really dont hunt much.......what i like to call weekend warriors...hunting weekends and opening day.........them guys luck is most of the hunt.......but for myself the only luck involved is me being there when the deer are.......i scout all year.....hours and hours and hours......some spots( like me and dads honey hole) we scouted for a few years before finding the perfect spot to hunt these deer....we are up to....near 10 deer from the same spot in 4 years....weve seen tons and tons more while hunting that spot.......opening morning lastr year we seen over 20 by 9am.....dad took a doe adn i took a doe then a 6pt.....all by 9am........could seen more and filled all our tags taking bigger bucks if we wanted to wait.....that spot took us a while to find.....lots of scouting and finding where the deer went.....i also shoot all year.......my deer rifle i dont shoot TONS but i shot a few boxes from it each year.....but im constanly shooting and practicing from diffrent HUNTING style positions and everything.....so for me i dont think luck plays a big part at all......if i mess up its my fault.......its a funnel so soon as the deer start moving they are coming by us.......when the guys start moving we really start to see the deer.....but usually first light we have atleast one down.....they are always moving through our spot......only bad thing is its 2 miles back in the woods....but its well worth it....so it depends how you hunt to make a luck ratio.........my other style of hunting after the first few days is getting together with my buddies and doing giant drives.....covering most of a township in a day......drives lasting over an hour.......not much luck there either.....we got guys MAKING the deer move.....and shooters set up covering all the exit routes the deer take........took the drive leader a while to get them to work......but they do now.....and we killed about 20 out there last year alone......some drives we had to do alot of work to get the deer to go by the shooters......positioning them in diffrent spots and driving from diffrent places......they work now.....all we gota do is get some more shooters that can shoot straight!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 PM
crc

i vote 50 50