Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best deer feeder and why?

Old 03-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default best deer feeder and why?

I am looking for a mechanical type deer feeder that will put out corn and protein pellets a couple of times a day. Does anyone know of a good brand and why do you favor that particular one.
I really don't want to make this another to feed or not to feed debate,just looking for the best most dependable feeder

Thanks
Old 03-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best deer feeder and why?

I built a feeder using a pickel barrel and a New Day feeder. Feeds about sunrise and sunset.

http://www.advanceddesignsinc.com/images/w0401008.jpg
Old 03-23-2004, 05:36 PM

total on our property we hunt,there are 14 feeders.they are all moultrie econo. feeders. that should speak for it slef.
they are cheap from $29.00 to $35.00 depends on where yo get them.
they work great and last a pretty long time.some of mine are 10 years old.
they put out corn real well.I would think they would also put out the pellets.just ajust the spinner blade.

hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:48 PM

If you are planning on feeding pellets, you will need to use a gravity feed container type feeder. Pellets dont fare well in moisture. I just recently put out a couple feeders like this to use pellets. They are made by rack attract. Not cheap, but built to last. I have had feed in them for about a month now, still dry and fresh.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 AM

We maintain feeders on three leases, which total about 40 feeders. We have tried every type of feeder you can think of.

We find that the Remington feeders are the most dependable due to the low maintenance and sturdy contruction. This feeder used to be made by a company called Bulldog Feeders before it was bought out by Remington.

They are on clearance right now at Bass Pro for like $49. You won't go wrong with these.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i seen a product on the outdoor channel from wild game innovations. its called deer vour. it comes in 40 lb. bags from bass pro. its supposed to be a apple scented water proof pellet loaded with protien. i was looking for info on the purina deer chow but cant seem to find a local dealer in new jersey. i want to give the deer in my hunting area something a little better than just corn. this deer vour is like13$ a bit more than buying corn. i get 100lbs of corn for 10.50$ i plan on maybe mixing the 2 together. i have 2 moultrie economy feeders that hold 50lbs. of corn and so far so good. i also have there new gravity type feed on demand revolver feeder. it has a plastic varmint guard and a big heavy yellow ball that the deer need to push with there nose to make corn come out of it. the revolver feeder is great for remote areas because no battery is needed. i have the timer set for 6 secs.on the economy feeders. its enough to keep them coming back. it will last a good 3 weeks but if i hunt a feeder i will just bring a small 3 gallon bucket of corn and top off as the season goes so i dont have to bring in 50lbs in one shot.