Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle scopes.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Rifle scopes.

Hi everyone, kindly help me out on this one. Iam planning to buy a scope for my 30-06 Wenchester, it is a Redfield 3x-9x variable power low profile acutrack scope. Please tell me that is this particular scope worth buying and how do u rate it. Please also tell me if anybody has any knowledge regarding the price range of this scope. I'll be highly oblidged to all.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rifle scopes.

Raja,

Go to the guns and firearms review boards and you'll see a lot of posts about scopes.

Personally, I have never owned a Redfield, but will some day. I have heard both good things and bad things about them, then again I have heard the same about every scope manufacturer even Leupold. I have heard that the older Redfield Widefield scopes are some of the best ones they ever made. Tha tis what I will eventually get, an older 2x7 Widefield.

Do some research on the internet on prices. There are several online stores that offer very good prices beating most retail stores. You can even pick up a good deal on Ebay if you are patient.

Go to some retail stores and look at the different scopes out there. Talk to a sales person and listen to them. You should be able to tell the difference between some schmo and someone that is knowledgeable. Get some educated opinions on what is out there and then make your purchase.

Good luck!
Matt
Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a 30 year old Redfield tracker 2X7. I have not used any of the new ones yet. I can say, and if you look at them in the stores, they are one of the clearest sharpest scopes you can look through. I can sure swear by the quality of the old ones. I have heard that the newer ones are not as good but I would have to try one to kow for sure. I doubt that you could go wrong.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I thought that Redfield was out of business. If you find one it will probably be an older used scope, not sure of the value of one, but I wouldn't go over $100 or so.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:48 PM

either redfield is out of business, or someome bourght the name, but i know
"redfield" is back on the market. i used a redfield 3x9 wideview for 12 years and loved it. i recently got a new deer rifle and put a lepould 4x12 on it. the lepould is a great scope but being using the wideview for so long puts the
lepould at a disadvantage in my book. i paid about $400 for my lepould, which
was the going price about a year ago. i also priced the new redfield 3x9 wideview. it went for around the same price. if after this year i don't feel comfortable with the lepould i'm probally going back to a redfield wideview.
depending on where and how you usually hunt will dictate your prefrence,but
before you buy, check out the redfield wideview i think you'll be impressed.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about the new Redfields but i've had a couple of old ones that were good scopes.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Redfield, Weaver and Simmons is owned by Meade & yes, redfield line of scopes is back on the market.

I can only comment on older redfields and they were a solid scope. The new versions comes with a lifetime warranty as most do and that is about all I really know, never seen a new version in person...sorry.

Some links:

www.redfieldoptics.com

parent companys website- www.meade.com