Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter... >

Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Old 01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Big Country, two bucks over the 170" mark is a great accomplishment. It sounds like you guys run a pretty nice place. I've been looking into Wes Hexons place in Saskatchewan. www.weshexon.com Just looking for now, havent' made any commitments.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

James, one of the bucks netted 173", but the big one netted 190 3/8" typical as a 10 point. He was a bruiser.

The guy that shot the big one actually missed him once! He got another chance 5 days later. Some guys have the luck!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

James here yeah go.

www.dnaguiding.com

Best of luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM

I would have to agree that a B&C is really a freak of nature. I've been hunting Saskatchewan for 5 years now with a few buddies and the biggest so far is a gross of 173, net in the 160's. Virtually anywhere will produce a B&C buck but in my opinion Saskatchewan/Alberta you have the best odds. I like to look at an outfitter that takes lets say 20 clients per year and gets a Boonie at least every other year out of all his clients.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me that most of the Sask. outfitters I have noted thru websites or shows make use of the enclosed ground blinds over bait piles. Not exactly what I would want in a hunt, hard to feel any acomplishment with just shooting the deer coming in to the bait. I also get clustraphobic in small enclosed areas. To my thinking this type of hunt is not any more challenging than hunting in a high fence. Just my thoughts and I don't fall out with anyone who is of a different opinion...........dabow
Old 01-31-2004, 11:51 AM

I have lived in sask all my life and have seen a few bruisers. In my area i know of at least 6 deer going over 180. Now there are probably more deer that i didn't hear about but word gets around pretty fast in town when somebody gets a dandy. If you are thinkin about sask i would suggest the northern part of the province because the whitetail don't get as big down in the southern areas. Don't get hung up on Biggar, Sask. I understand thats where the record was taken but that was one deer and it was a freak of nature. i believe the north consistently puts out more bigger bucks than anywhere. I honestly believe that there is a bigger buck than milo's runnin around in sask someplace or maybe has not been concieved yet. But its just a matter of time before someone here tops that record....
Old 02-01-2004, 09:25 PM

JamesVee,
if you need me to look after your 150 class deer on your farm while you are gone on another hunt just let me know.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hiawatha, I disagree that the deer down south are smaller. This province is blessed with big deer all over it and down south while it receives more pressure being easier access, close to major cities and so on, it also provides excellent nutrients that make antler growth a premium. An example a deer in the forest might take 5 years to grow the horns a farmland deer can do in 3. I would say the forest fringe(like they area you live/hunt in) constistently brings in large bucks, these areas butt up to rich farm/hay lands with large tracks of bush areas to allow these deer to mature, which offers the best of both worlds. That being said some of the biggest deer I have seen either on the hoof or down have come from the central/southern farmland zones.

Of course non residents/outfitters (besides indian reserves) are restricted to the forest area's, so James you'll most likely be hunting in the bush or very close to it. Let me also say this is the main reason baiting is used in this industry, the areas these outfitters hunt have good numbers of whitetails and being the remoteness are allowed to reach maturity which offers an excellent chance at trophy class deer but they are somewhat lower than most areas in this proivince for actual numbers. Baiting is an equalizing factor as the government doesn't allow the outfitter to operate in choice hunting lands, like other provinces such as Alberta. Baiting is very much an involved technique, constisting of hard nose scouting, planning & preperation most of which is not seen by the client who shows up and sits one of many stands during his visit. It certainly isn't easy by no means it is both time and money consuming. Of course it is your choice wether you want to hunt with baiting employed, if not then don't come to Saskatchewan as 99% of the outfitters use this technique, but please don't assimulate it to a shooting as it is much more involved then one may think. A technique much similar to rattling, calling or scent being used to up your chances at both seeing and harvesting deer. Being I worked in the business I know what is involved and also had some clients share these feelings when they arrived, however by the time they left they knew it was anything but a gravytrain and where very appreciative of the efforts that were put forth to make their hunt a success/goodtime. As such a high % return to hunt for years to come.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 PM

skeeter i have never hunted the southern areas so my statement might have been wrong. However i have quite a few guys from the south come up to my place hunting elk and moose and usually everyone of them comments on the much larger deer we have up here. Thats just the information i got from them. But you are exactly right about the baiting in saskatchewan. I don't know an outfitter that doesn't do it. And its not exactly sitting and shooting a deer over a grain pile..alot more to it than that. and yes if he does come to sask hunting he will probably be in a forested area where they resort to baiting.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

i hunted here, pretty good hunt, lots of nice bucks www.kentuckywhitetail.com
tell them doug sent you, you'll get a discount.

Quick Reply: Looking for best Whitetail Outfitter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.