Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes >

Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

Old 01-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

Looking at the Burris Fullfield II, the Nikon Monarch UCC, and the Leupold VXII all in the 3-9x40.

Can somebody help me make the decision and give reasons why one is better than the other. Scopes are new to me and I plan on putting this on a T/C Omega.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Default RE: Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

I've owned all three and they are all good, but I now I only buy Leupold.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My only pick of the 3 would be a Leupold...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I never owned a Burris but between the other 2 which I own both I prefer Nikon .. They seem clearer to my eye .. You couldn't go wrong with either .. Nikon is less $$ ... Bill
Old 01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Leupold Vari x III and Burris Sign Series both have been excellent. I know not the models you mentioned but I think either are pretty decent. For my ML's I use bushnell elites (3200 and 4200), so just to add more food for thought or fuel for the fire I would look at the 3200 elite with fast focus as well. At around 200 bucks it is a very nice scope & would do just fine on IMHO. The only knock maybe eye relief at 3" fixed, it hasn't caused me any concern on my front stuffers though. I think optically (brightness and clarity) and features it certainly looses no ground. Has lifetime warranty(almost all do now a days), rainguard, fast focus are all standard on the 3200 elite, making it probably one of the best bangs for your buck. It would be on my short list of scopes in the range you are mentioning. Nikon has always been extremely bright scopes to my eye but there reliabilty and CS was a source of concern for me thus my lack to endorse the product[:'(].

Best advice take a boo through them all and decide for yourself. Just make sure you take them out of the shop to compare, as under the shop lights the difference are mooted significantly.

Best of Luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good friend of mine had a Monarch and got a Leupold for his birthday, so he put the Monarch on his wife's rifle. Now he is wanting another Monarch or a Zeiss..........
Old 01-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

stay far away from buris! stick with the leupold. you will love it!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM

i like my swarovski
Old 01-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put a 2-7x33 Leupold on my Omega and could not be happier. I have never had a problem with a Leupold.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have sold each of these and had an opportunity to field test them in Saskatchawan(by accident).
The following scopes all mounted on rifles were laid out on a picnic table with pillows and towels supporting each one in a "viewing position" so you did not have to touch them. It was almost dusk and each one was "pointed" across the lake at the same dead tree approx 200 yards.
We wanted to compare light gathering , glare from the ice on the lake(if any), and temperature change(78 to 14 degrees)

Burris3x9x40 / Nikon 3x9x40/ Leupold 3.5x10x40/ Redfiled 3x9x32/ Swarovski 2.5x10x42

From worst to best > Redfield - Burris - Nikon - Swarovski - Leupold
Once they all cleared from temperature change. This was external only and was not a factor. There was no glare problems with any of the scopes. We pretty much agreed the pecking order we re-lined them up so we could get a good comparison next to each other on "light gathering"
Burris & Nikon matched we could see no difference but they were not a match for the other two..Leopold & Swarovski
Leupold Vari x III had a very, very slight edge over Swarovski.
The leopold was $364 dealer cost. (my scope)
The Swarovski dealer cost $1042 ...I sold it to a hunting buddy for our Cost.

My Buddy wanted to know if I would re-sell the Swarovski so he could put 3 VariX III on other rifles he owned.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Quick Reply: Burris vs Nikon vs Leupold scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.