Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoulder or Double lung

Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shoulder or Double lung

You got open broadside shot on deer standing at 75 yards. Do you shoot for shoulder and try to break him down there. Or lung shot and tracking.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:36 PM

Default RE: Shoulder or Double lung

This is a no brainer as tracking can really suck in some terrains! First off, zero your rifle scope correctly then aim just above and behind the shoulder for a heart shot that takes him down on the spot! Why would anyone want to purposely have track an animal? Just wondering!!
Old 11-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Well, although a double lung shot saves meat, I go for the shoulder.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

Double lung all the way, last one I harvested with a solid double lung hit went maybe 30 yds., with a trail that a one eyed person could follow. As for the heart, I' II let you figure it out.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:22 AM

I would assume your groups to be under 2" at 100yd, not hard to do.What type of slug and what cal?Personally, any thing under 150yd,and standing reasonably still,I go for the base of the neck.Very little meat lose and no tracking.If both you and your rifle are up to the task, it' s all over in the blink of an eye, the most humane kill shot there is. Past 150yd,with good slugs,double lung,if you' ve got the " hitting power" , the animal won' t get up
Old 11-25-2003, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

I go for the top of the heart shot, a few inches off in any direction and you still have a Kill that ain' t going very far. I like the idea of a neck shot and a drop in the tracks hit but I don' t think I am a good enough shot. Then again I am in Connecticut heavy woods where a 100 yards clear shot is rare.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Study your deer anatomy to find the shoulder " blade" and aim for the lower part of it. That shot reduces the shoulder meat damage and if you miss by a little you still get a lung hit.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:43 AM

cant any of youll shoot them in the neck, deer hit in the neck goes no where and saves meat and you dont have to worry about hitting guts
Old 11-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting a deer in the neck is a low percentage shot at best. it is a smaller target than the shoulder area. Maybe you should check out this link and see the anotmy of a deer. If someone is such a bad shot they worry about hitting guts on a heart lung shot how in the world are they going to hit a deers neck? JMO. Besides you being a " trophy hunter" you would be ruining your cape.

[link]http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html[/link]
Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Buckeye great anatomy of a deer link the best yet thanks. I go for the center shot just above the heart that gives me 6" in any direction with a vital area kill. I agree the little 2or 3" citcle for the kneck shot if a low precentage shot. Whats bad if you miss the neck to the 3 oclock direction you can sever only the wind pipe and the deer dies days later, and you will not probably be able to track him.

Quick Reply: Shoulder or Double lung

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.