Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Windy and rain storms, hunt open area or thick? >

Windy and rain storms, hunt open area or thick?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Windy and rain storms, hunt open area or thick?

Old 11-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Windy and rain storms, hunt open area or thick?

They are calling for nasty weather to start off the WV season. I figured the open areas would be best for seeing deer you can' t hear, but the thick areas might be where they hole up. Any suggestions? I have treestands in both types of areas.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:07 PM

Default RE: Windy and rain storms, hunt open area or thick?

It was about the same for this past opening weekend for shotgun in Indiana, it wasn' t so much windy as it was wet. We encountered deer mainly moving through thick stuff, I did have a doe come out of a thick woods right across the small bean field i' m on, right to my stand and then back into the wood on my other side. I would stick somewhere that is mainly thick with cover, but I wouldn' t shy to far away an open grass field either. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:03 PM

I' d stick where the best cover is.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 words: CEDAR PATCH. the deer always seem to hold up under cedars around here during alotta rain
Old 11-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don' t have any cedars. I' ve always disliked wet and/or windy conditions because you can' t hear the deer coming and are more likely to get busted moving than if you heard them and became still before they could see you. However, this is the first time the rifle opener coincides with what might be high winds and rain. Therefore, I have to consider the slowing effects of the weather on deer movement and may have to hunt the thick areas where deer may be more likely to take cover. I don' t move much to begin with but considering I can' t hear them, I will have to be looking to and fro a lot so will have to minimize body movement while still moving my head to scan around.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txbowjunkie

I' d stick where the best cover is.
I agree. Around here they either stay in the thick stuff or they find a low area such as a creek bottom where the wind is isn' t as bad.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Doug, Not sure which county you are hunting here?? Years ago when I did hunt windy and rainy weather alot I always set up above a main trail, between feeding area and the heavy cover ....always worked for me. So well that one time a yearling doe actually scared the crap out of me by sneaking up behind me, smelling my rain gear...her nose touched my back. LMAO about it now. Any rainy conditions the sound is down for you also, as is your scent....something to keep in mind. Good Luck on Monday and Be Safe! I will be out at first light......
Also not sure what the mast is like in your area.....here it is hit and miss at best ....you already know to hunt the food sources and thats where you will find your deer.

This week alone, even with the massive flooding I have seen more active scrapes, rubs and deer moving than I observed just 3 days ago...... so next week if the temps drop and the weather cooperates who knows.... Good Luck!