Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Shot a buck this morning have a question. >

Shot a buck this morning have a question.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot a buck this morning have a question.

Old 11-16-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Shot a buck this morning have a question.

This morning at 8:15 I shot a 10 point buck. When i shot it, it jumped and kicked its back legs then it started walking so I shot again. I then called my uncle and got down from my treestand to meet him at my grandmas house for him to help me track it. When we went up there at about 9:30 we could not find blood anywhere. I am using a remington 870 express magnum 20ga. shotgun and copper solid slugs. In the past when i shot a deer with these slugs they did not bleed for a while. My uncle shot a doe this year and it did not start bleeding until about 80 to 100 yards from the spot he shot. I am going to go back up where i shot this afternoon with 3 other people to try and find the blood trail. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if you think i will be wasting my time. Any information would be helpful.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Shot a buck this morning have a question.

I have shot several deer with my 870 12 gauge. Last year I knew I had hit my doe, but, no blood! The first drop of blood was about 150 to 200 feet from where I shot her, and she was laying about 300 yards from where I shot her. So you might want to expand your looking area for the first spots.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 AM

If you have a friend with a little old beagle or lab or something, a lot of dogs that don' t even hunt deer are smart enough that if you bring them to the original spot and encourage then to" find it girl" they can be a huge help. I' ve tracked 3 deer like this one had traveled 1/2 a mile and crossed 2 road. Never would have found it with out that old dog nose(It' s now hanging in the foyer).
Old 11-16-2003, 11:33 AM

When a deer reacts like that to a shot, it usually indicates a pretty good hit, sometimes a little far back.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:43 AM

A mule kick. Usually a sign of a heart hit. Keep looking, you will find him.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:58 PM

Take a dog. My lab does a good job. Worked her today on a deer shot yesterday evening. Once I lose the the trail I just follow her from the last spot of blood. She found the next blood 200yrds from the previous, that I could see. Good luck its out there.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:15 PM

I' m just curious how you were able to be tracking a deer at 0930 this morning and posting a message on this board the same morning? I would be out there doing a grid search pattern for several hours before giving up. It once took me aprox 2 to 3 hours to find a doe I had gut shot while bowhunting. I knew she was dead but she didn' t drop a hint of blood anywhere. I finally crossed a river and found her on the other side after checking a couple of runs. The motto here is to not give up so darn quick. Get back in the woods if your not out there already! It' s irresponsible to give up so soon.

Good Luck
Old 11-16-2003, 02:19 PM

H2O2 in a spray bottle (peroxide) will foam with contact to blood might help ya find minute blood drips. Good luck let us know how it turns out!
Old 11-16-2003, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I stopped using those slugs after whacking some deer and then finding little to no blood. I shot a 7pter in New York a few years ago at 65yds and thought that I had a clean miss as there was no reaction. The buck ran over a ridge where my brother-in-law was posted. I' m waiting for him to unload but not shot. As I walk over the ridge, I saw " why didnt you shoot" . He said that he was getting ready to unload when the buck dropped dead running over a log! He points to a blow down and there is the buck! I' m telling you--no blood at all!

Your buck is down so go back out there. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:09 AM

Sounds to me like you only grazed his belly if he jumped and then started walking, doesnt make sense where did you hiy him the second shot. I have hit them they jumped up and kicked but they didnt start walking, you grazed him, like i said where is the #2 bullet did you hit him with that shot

Quick Reply: Shot a buck this morning have a question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.