Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Boresighting(was need scope help) >

Boresighting(was need scope help)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boresighting(was need scope help)

Old 11-11-2003, 12:59 PM
jec

Default Boresighting(was need scope help)

That boresighting sounds like a good idea. I didn' t know that I could have that done. If I buy a scope at a gunshop, about what will it cost to mount it and boresight it ? If it is about a foot off at 100 yards that should have me real close at 50 yards? I' m off to hunt on Friday, so If they can boresight my new scope on, I could possibly get home before dark on Thurs. and finish sighting it in before Friday morning.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Boresighting(was need scope help)

Usually when you buy a scope at a gunshop they' ll boresight it at no additional cost. I have even brought my scope and bought the mount at the gun shop and they still mounted it and boresighted it for me.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

If it is a bolt action, single shot or muzzleloader you can bore sight it your self. If you have a gun where you can remove the bolt or breech plug and look down the barrel you are in business. Mount the scope and then set the gun so it wont move and line up the barrel with an object about 25-50 yds away. Next, adjust the scope to see what you see looking through the barrel. I did this when I mounted a scope on my dad' s new muzzleloader. It was only 3" left at 100 yds. A couple of clicks to the right on the scope adjustment ring and some confirming shots and it was sighted.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:52 PM

tbone, thats the way we do it around here works like a charm.but they should boresight it for you if you go in and buy the scope.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:49 PM

I live in a rural community and the gunsmith I had blue and mount a scope on an old bolt action 30-30 not only bore sighted it but even zero' d the scope for me. when he said he would, I had him set it 1 inch high at 50 yds. (It gave me a dead on hold at 200 yds.) He has his own range behind his shop in the country.

Russ
Old 11-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you buy the scope from them, most stores will boresight the scope for free.If you are to have a gunshop actually sight in the gun for you you need to have them use the exact load that you will hunt with and even then you should verify the zero yourself.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:21 PM

tbonecpa hit it right on the money. I have one of those expensive boresighters, and looking down the barrel works just as good.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I actually own my own boresighter and am almost always within 6" of the bullseye at 100 yards when using it.I can' t say the same for looking down the bore to adjust the scope.It can be done but not to the same degree of accuracy and not nearly as quickly.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:30 PM

I have been using my Tasco boresighter for several years now and it works like a charm. VERY LITTLE finishing touches to zero it in too. Good Luck!! -- CDH
Old 11-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been setting my scopes up for years looking through the barrel and it will be usually within a couple inches at 50 yards . I have also seen a lot of guns supposedly boresighted at gunshops that weren' t even close . Most of them were set up by someone that didn' t know what he was doing . We helped a guy sight in his rifle last week that wasn' t even on the paper at 50 yards , it had been boresighted where he bought the scope . We have a range and you wouldn' t believe some of the things we see that were put on by someone working in a gunshop . I have always done my own for that reason .

Quick Reply: Boresighting(was need scope help)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.