Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

Old 11-06-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

I was wondering if anybody has used a heater in a hunting blind? Before you call me a wimp it is for my brother. He has been fighting cancer for the past year and does not have the body fat to keep him warm like he used to.

This is for the gun season in Wisconsin. I have an Ameristep Brickhouse that I was going to get a blaze orange cap for. However I do not know if their is a heater that is suitable for this purpose. Maybe I should just put up a Blaze canvas 4 sided blind with a heater.

I am open to all ideas including what HEATER. I do not have time to build a shack, so it would need to be portable. I was also thinking of talking to the dnr to see if I can get a permit to hunt from a vehicle.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-06-2003, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

we routinely use the Mr heaters in our stands here in northern MN. It' s spose to be -5 for opener this Saturday, so the heaters will come in handy. we use the small Mr. Heaters that screw on top of the small green coleman tanks. Each tank should last about 10-15 hrs depending on high you have them. They give off little or no fumes/smell ,and I haven' t seen a deer spook from them yet. Our stands are 15' up,so ground blind may have different results. I' d still try them. The heaters run about $18, and the cans a couple bucks. Can' t tell you the BTU' s it gives off, but I use them icefishing in my 4' x6' house and it keeps it warm inside. Steve
Old 11-06-2003, 08:17 AM

Yep, I used Mr Hearter last year too on FDD, First Day of Deer. I have one of those outhouse popup blinds and when I got too cold and wanted to go back, that is when I turned on the heater and warmed up. It helped me stay in he woods longer. Unforunately, the only deer I saw were 2 does running at me. They almost ran into the blind but kept on going. I didn' t get one during that hunt but will bring it again with me this year, same place. The does were spooked I believe from another hunter, not me. The heater does have a slight sound and odor and I only use it to extend my stay.

Tomster

Old 11-06-2003, 10:17 AM

Basspro has several models of heaters to choose from. I' ve been know to use one in a popup or simular blind when my son is with me. He' s 8. Never seemed to hender our success.

Additionally, I' m sorry to here about your bro. My wife is battling the beast as well and I know first hand how hard it is. I hope he' s winning his fight. I' ll say a prayer for him.

Kudo' s to you as well. It' s a great thing you' re doing for him. Getting him out and away from his problem has got to mean the world to him. Keep up the good work, you' re a good brother.

Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coleman puts a heater out called the Black Cat, about 3500 btu. runs about 35 bucks, easy to carry and setup and works perfect in a blind.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wimp? Hey, there' s nothing wrong with being comfortable while you hunt.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-06-2003, 11:12 AM

Mr. Heaters or sunflower heaters work great.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:01 PM

[8D]I love my Mr. Heater. I have a stand up about 15' . I hunt in Central WI. I would rather be comfortable and be able to stay the whole day than get froze out by noon.

(Plus it works great to heat up heat up a ham and cheese)
Old 11-06-2003, 12:52 PM

Do most of you use the Blackcat' s that run around $35? I guess my only concern would be geeting it to sit flat on the ground so it does not tip over and melt the blind. I think I can come up with something.

I know Tazimna mentioned one that runs about $18, I will have to see if I can find which one that is.

Thanks Agian All.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

the ones that i have, have a carrying handle that also doubles at the stand bracket, ends up pointing at you.

Quick Reply: Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.