Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

Old 11-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

Very sorry to hear your brother has cancer,I would go with th reddy heater you can' t go wrong with it I have used the same one for icefishing for years and it great.It' ll keep you guys warm.Hope your brother is feeling better soon.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:55 AM

This is irrelevant to heated blinds but do any of you have any good tips on how to stay warm in the morning. Usually i start getting cold around 830 and want to go inside. I really want to stay on the stand and sometimes hot hands makes a difference but i wondered if any of you have any good tips. I usually wear plenty of clothing. Usually my feet sweat and then get cold i need something to fix that i have tried every kind of sock imaginable none seem to work. Thats mainly my problem. Someone help
Ghillie86
Old 11-07-2003, 09:09 AM

If you do a search for " Layering clothes" you will find a post in which I was asking a similar question.

The biggest thing that I learned was not to have cottom next to your body as it is worthless. Start with a polypropylene or other good wicking material, they usually come in light weight, mid weight and heavy or expedition. Fleece, wool or polortec would be good for a second or third layer. Also some sort of outer or next to last layer that is a wind barrier. I ussually have problems with my feet gettting cold as well, but try a wicking sock (polypropylene) underneith a good wool sock. Lastly make sure to keep your head warm, maybe try a balvetica.

Check out this link as well.

http://www.outdoorreview.com/guide%5Elayeringcrx.aspx

UpNorth
Old 11-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I usually wear plenty of clothing. Usually my feet sweat and then get cold i need something to fix that i have tried every kind of sock imaginable none seem to work. Thats mainly my problem. Someone help
Check past posts regarding shoes and feet to get alot of good ideas. Try antiperspirant to stop your feet from sweating and also try looser boots, no cotton socks, polypropylene liners, and maybe changing socks after you hike into your stand tossing the old sweaty ones. Again check the past posts for more ideas like these, they do work. Best of luck this season.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:38 AM

I have some good boots a pair of rocky with 800 grams ill try to get some of those socks i have some good wool socks. I have seen those heated socks that take a c battery they suck are there any others u have seen that work better.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Since your here, the general consensus from most of the posts on boots were that they should not be tight, you need room to wiggle your toes. Then use one polypropylene liner sock and one thin wool or thermax sock. You can use antiperspirant on your feet beforehand to reduce sweating. If the hike to your stand is a tough one and leaves you and your feet sweating, consider bringing a change of socks or taking out your feet to cool down and dry before setting up.
Boot type doesn' t seem to matter though pac or mickey mouse? boots seem to be the warmest, maybe too warm. IF your feet are dry and you have room to wiggle your toes but your feet are still getting cold very quickly then consider adding those instant heating pads to your boots once your on stand. Remember, whatever you do eventually your feet will get cold, don' t expect to sit on stand all day 8 hrs in freezing weather not moving and wonder why your feet are cold. Again hope it helps and check the old posts, they will basically tell you all of this. Take care.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watched an ambulance drive a dirt road while hunting and found out later that someone had a heater in a stand with them. He fell asleep and woke to a burning stand. He tried to get down and his legs got tied up and he hung upside down stuck. They found him burnt to a crisp. Be care ful with those things.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watched an ambulance drive a dirt road while hunting and found out later that someone had a heater in a stand with them. He fell asleep and woke to a burning stand. He tried to get down and his legs got tied up and he hung upside down stuck. They found him burnt to a crisp. Be care ful with those things.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:24 AM

I have problems with my feet getting cold all the time in the past few years it seemed like no matter what i tried they were always getting cold no matter what kind of sock or how many i put on and i have a pair of rocky boots with 800 grams. This year i went to bass pro and got a pair of red head rubber boots with 1000 grams i bought a pair of polypropelene socks and a pair of wigwams for the outer layer and i havent had a problem since. this setup works great. i can stay in the stand later now. its awesome
Old 11-12-2003, 10:22 AM

Yep. . .we also from time to time use the small green gas bottles, coleman, and use the little 6 or 8 inch heater head on it. Open a vent. Can' t shoot straight if you can' t stop shiverin. Kids get cold fast.

Quick Reply: Keeping Warm/Heated blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.