Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First day in the woods today!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Spike

Smile First day in the woods today!

So today I had my first day in the woods.

Over the past few days I had been watching videos and reading forums learning the basics of hunting. Things like field dressing a deer, decision making, animal anatomy for humane quick kills. I then got a general Buck tag for Oregon plotted out a location using maps and other services and headed out this morning.

The weather was really terrible rain coming in sideways and it wouldn't really let up. My plan was to head down a Forest Road and get out and hike around. I feel like I had prepared my self gear and planning wise as best I could for a first time (I understand some people scout for weeks or months before a hunt, even on a specific buck they want). I had planned to only go for the day but brought sleeping bags, MRE's, a tent, and plenty of camping gear in case of any issues. Lots of water and was sure to send my family and GF the planned location and route I was going to take with a return time.

Mostly what happened was I got to the end of the road grabbed my riffle and trucked in the woods about 100 -200 yards. I sat around for about 30 min and moved a little then sat around again. I'll be honest I didn't see a single thing except 2 birds the whole time. I had read that deer don't move much in the rain and it was around 12pm which I understand is when they are already bed down. I do remember someone saying that deer like sticking around heavy foliage and streams during rain so thats where I headed but still didn't see much.

I learned some things about my gear tho. My German military surplus Gore-Tex works... Like wow that stuff kept me amazingly dry. Boots failed pretty bad they water logged hard and i'll have to figure out some better boots. My great grandpa's 30-06 with 4X Lyman seemed to hold up fine after it's cleaning. Gloves need some improvement but they didn't fair too bad.

Over all I'd say I had planned decently (Can always plan more I know). Got out to the woods and got to test some of my gear in a pretty rough environment with a deer tag in my pocket. I maybe stayed out for only around 2-3 hours.

Some question I have for the more experienced of the bunch:

What are some things I can do better to increase chances of seeing deer?

Is this rainy weather I had and the time of day just not good hunting?

I have been told ambushing on a game trail is good for when you first start out, how do you find a game trail? Will they be close too roads?

Where do deer like to hang out? <-- probably a million dollar question!

Any words of encouragement/criticism or tips/advice are appreciated!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Some question I have for the more experienced of the bunch:

What are some things I can do better to increase chances of seeing deer?

Hunt where the deer are. Deer hunting is simple really... Find a place that has deer and when you see a legal one, shoot it. If your spot doesn't have deer, you're not going to see them.

Is this rainy weather I had and the time of day just not good hunting?

Any time is a good time to hunt. You can't kill them from your living room. Typically mornings and evenings are your peak movement times, but anytime you can go is a good time. As for rain, I like hunting in the rain. And it doesn't bother the deer.

I have been told ambushing on a game trail is good for when you first start out, how do you find a game trail? Will they be close too roads?

You just need to get in the woods and find one. It'll be a well worn path. Look at it, and see if there are deer tracks. That's a good sign that you're on a deer trail. As you get better you'll start to recognize more and more sign that might not be as visible to you right now. The best thing you can do though is spend time in the woods and learn what to look for. Experience is your best teacher.

Where do deer like to hang out? <-- probably a million dollar question!

The simple answer is where the food is... Like any other animal their life revolves around food, water, and mating. Find one (or preferable all three of these things) and you'll find deer....

Any words of encouragement/criticism or tips/advice are appreciated!

Just get out and enjoy it. Don't pressure yourself into thinking success is only when you kill one. Every hunt should be "successful" in the enjoyment that you get and in what you learn each time.

Get out, spend time in the woods, and learn. If you find a heavy deer trail, sit and watch it. Eventually you'll see deer.

-Jake
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Spike

I hunted one time in driving rain. Tested out my Cabelas Rain Suede gear, it worked flawlessly. But it gets heavy when wet and doesn't dry fast.
I hunt my parents farm to BIL's farm mainly. On our farm I've hunted for 30 years so know where the deer go. My blind/stand is set up where I see deer most of the time, many times well out of range or through the woods where I can't shoot and that's fine. But that day in the rain I saw nothing. EXCEPT, when I finally gave up and walked back up to the barn. Right there next to the barn stuck in the fence was a small doe. She had tried to jump the fence (cattle panel) and didn't quite make it. Her leg was stuck and she was bucking just tearing it to hell. I went and got some bolt cutters and cut her loose then helped pull her leg out. She was a small doe, I suspect not smart enough to bed down and wait out the rain. Yes they will move to eat/drink but it's minimal. Not like a normal day where they will wander on their trails to/from various food plots.
Keep in mind, after you have hunted for years and/or killed some game your definition of a succesful hunt will change. I was out this past sunday with my 12 yo son. Just a few hours, didn't see anything. I was in the woods on a 60 degree day listening to the birds. I was bow hunting but really scouting for rifle. It was a succesful day in my book. Deer stand theropy is great

To be most sucessful look at google earth for where you hunt. Look for food, water, and thick cover. Get within 100 yards looking into the cover or overlooking the food plot and you will see something. On our farm we have 3 locations that the deer have been in year after year. It's thick and there are usually 3 ways in/out of it. Guarenteed, if I walk once side of the draw I see white flags going out the other. Likewise, I have stands all over. If I'm in one they will still come in but won't get deep enough that I cen ever see them in the cover. But when I get down to leave, I see flags. It's game, it's fun, enjoy it!

Edited to add: when I first got back into bow hunting as an adult. i put on my carharts that smelled like grease and oil. I was in my old stand from when I was a kid, should have checked it first. A 10 year hiatus made it umm "unstable". Anyway, it was cold, real cold and all the foliage was gone. I saw a deer come in to where I was, then saw 2 more following. They were within range for my skills. But I didn't shoot. I decided to watch their behavior. See how that acted. They kept leaving and going to this creek crossing about 70 yards away through the woods. Every time they came back there were more deer. It happened about 4 time and before it was over there were 10-12 deer all around me. Including 10 feet directly below me. I could have jumped on them. They never looked up which is not a big deal. But what I was surprised by was they didn't seem to mind my scent. It wasn't natural at all and I'm certain even with the cold they could have smelled my workwear. My breath was a constant fog coming out too. So point of this was, I had plenty of opportunity shoot but didn't, yet still succesful in my book. Also, don't get caught up in the hype of scent free gear. Don't go eat at a chinese place in your gear but don't go out and spend a fortune on it either. People have been hunting for hundreads of years without top quality scent free under armor clothing and a magnum rifle. Just get out and go, that's where you learn how to hunt.

Last edited by jdeardor; 10-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.