Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New windmills

Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default New windmills

I have a chance to get on a lease that has 2 or 3 giant windmills on it. I'm talking about the big giant windmills for electricity not your average water windmill. They were put up this year so they are new. My question to everyone is do you feel the hunting will suffer due the the windmills. Just wondering if it is going to be worth going out there.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is a really good question!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been my experience they will get used to it. How quick is anybodies guess.

When jogging was the new fad my Deer would run in terror the first year, mostly hide the second year.

When mountain biking was the new fad they'd run in terror the first year or two when a mountain bike came by. Used to tee me off, the Doe would abandon their fawns early in the morning and might not return until nightfall.

People strolling by wouldn't upset them much, even people walking the dog as long as the Dog was walking. A running Dog would panic them.

Farm machinery comes by and most times they'd just look and go back to eating.

I'll tell you one thing those big wind driven generators will tear up some birds. There was one on my last lease and the surrounding field had a noticeable amount of feathers on it. I didn't hunt that part of the lease often, it was near the bordering lease. The Deer seemed to avoid that area anyway, I have no idea if it was the windmill or not. I always figured it was lack of cover that put them off.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I hate them. A whole bunch of them went up about 20 to 30 miles away to the west and those beautiful Adirondack foot hills now have a visual blight on top. I pity the people who live near them due to the noise and vibrations during certain wind conditions. There is probably a place for them to generate electricity in areas that don't affect many people. On some of my western hunting trips I often see miles of them on the barren western Kansas prairies where nobody lives.