Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.243 Win Loads

Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default .243 Win Loads

This weekend is opening day for me and I'm trying to decide which load I'm going to zero. I'm hunting in an area that is on the edge of black bear country. I have a black bear tag and might fill it if the opportunity arises.

I'm currently zeroed for 95gr Fusions. I have a few other options that I could zero with, but I think the Fusions are probably fine for my purposes. I've never shot anything with them.

95gr Win Deer Season XP
85gr Fed Trophy Copper
100gr Hornady Interlock

Any information about those loads would be helpful. Once I get moved into my house next month I'm going to start loading 85gr TSX and use it for everything. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fusions will work just fine.

As will any of the others listed.

I have one of my .243's set up with the 95gr Deer Season XP and another with the 80gr TTSX.

I'm going to set up with Ackley with the 69gr GS HV at about 3900 fps.

The 85gr and 100gr Partition is something to look into also...
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Since your season is so close and your gun is already dialed in with the Fusions, I'd just use them.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

The old man tested that Fusion ammo a good while back before it came out commercially. Had my youngest sister dial it in for her .243 to take to Tennessee. She had no complaints with accuracy and she dropped both a Buck and a Doe in their tracks with them. We all reload and use Hornady bullets for most all of our needs, but for the .243, I don't think those 95gr would be a bad buy for anyone as long as they are accurate from their rifle. As far as dropping a black bear with them, I would try limiting your shots to off the shoulder and no longer than 150 yards. Black bear fold up pretty much as easily as whitetail but those shoulders are pretty thick and dense. Quartered away and tucked in the crease would be a beauty shot but broadside, just barely miss the shoulder and take out the lungs. If you are into archery hunting, pick the shots you would use for bow hunting.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Fusions will work just fine.

As will any of the others listed.

I have one of my .243's set up with the 95gr Deer Season XP and another with the 80gr TTSX.

I'm going to set up with Ackley with the 69gr GS HV at about 3900 fps.

The 85gr and 100gr Partition is something to look into also...
Have you used the Deer Season? That load is interesting. From what I've seen about it I was worried it might not penetrate enough for bear. I'm hunting Northern NY and some of the Blackies up here can be big. Honest chances of seeing a bear at this spot are probably 1 in 100.

I'm going tomorrow or Thursday to check zero so I can re-zero if I change loads.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 AM
Spike

I like the 95gr Silver tips. Does a number on everything I've shot....deer, bobcat, coyote, wild boar. It's all about your placement. Plus with those silver tips you don't have to worry about werewolves either.....haha
Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 AM
Spike

Werewolves are a possibility.