Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

strange sighting

Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default strange sighting

was on my way to work friday morning and seen either a buck or a doe with horns as it had two fawns following behind it. not sure what it was but it sure got me to wondering. anyone else ever seen anything like this before?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yes there are times when a doe has antlers. Ive seen one in my lifetime and have seen a pic of another one. I believe it is in the archives. Not exactly sure how far back. I maybe wrong but I believe it was on here.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Generally when a doe has the genes to have antlers they can not have young. It is possible that the fawns were following a buck because they lost their mother. This time of the year the fawns would be on solid food. Of course it is possible that the doe, mother to the fawns was off somewhere feeding.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

It was likely just a buck being followed by two curious fawns. The momma doe was probably nearby.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
It was likely just a buck being followed by two curious fawns. The momma doe was probably nearby.
I've seen that happen myself.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Generally when a doe has the genes to have antlers they can not have young. It is possible that the fawns were following a buck because they lost their mother. This time of the year the fawns would be on solid food. Of course it is possible that the doe, mother to the fawns was off somewhere feeding.

That was something I didn't know, that they couldn't bear any fawns. See ya do learn something new everyday.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'd guess it was just some fawns trailing with a buck is all. I was camping this past week and we watched two spotted fawns play in an open woods for about half hour. No doe ever showed up. They were running and bouncing all over the place. Kids enjoyed it. I did too.

-Jake
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I have a group of deer that visit my back yard regularly. 3 small bucks (last years fawns), 1 fawn and 2 doe. The bucks and the fawn always show up first like clockwork. The doe's however tend to wait till almost dark to make an appearance.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Spike

cross gender doe lol