Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana rifles

Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Indiana rifles

The cartridge must have a minimum case
length of at least 1.16 inches and have a
maximum case length of 3 inches
• The cartridge must fire a bullet with a
diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm)
or larger

Revised Indiana rifle cartridge requirements for whitetail huntng

Last edited by grinder67; 08-02-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Additional Rifles Now Legal
for Deer Hunting
In 2016, the Indiana General Assembly passed
a law to approve certain high-powered rifles
for deer hunting on private land only.
In 2017, language was adopted to add more
options to the year-old law.
The changes do not affect regulations for
other rifles previously allowed for deer hunting
on public land.
During the youth season (Sept. 23-24), firearms
season (Nov. 18 - Dec. 3), deer reduction
zone season (only from Nov. 18, 2017 - Jan. 31,
2018 in zones where local ordinances allow
the use of a firearm), and special antlerless
only season (where authorized from Dec. 26,
2017 - Jan. 7, 2018), rifles that meet the following
specifications can now be used for deer
hunting only on private land:
• The rifle must have a barrel length of at
least 16 inches
• The cartridge must have a minimum case
length of at least 1.16 inches and have a
maximum case length of 3 inches
• The cartridge must fire a bullet with a
diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm)
or larger
• A hunter may not possess more than 10
cartridges for each of these rifles while
hunting deer
Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder if they know they can't limit the number of cartridges in possession. That's unconstitutional. They can limit magazine capacity like they do with shotguns but they can't limit the number of rounds in possession. At least not yet while we still have second amendment rights. Looks like Indiana is trying to sneak that one in under the wire.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I am not so sure they can't. Hunting is a highly regulated activity and when you purchase a license to hunt you are tacitly agreeing to obey the laws of hunting while you are hunting. While it makes no sense to limit how much ammo a person can carry, I have never needed more than one round for one deer, I believe each state can set their own rules. They aren't saying you cannot possess more than 10 rounds in your home or in your vehicle or on the shooting range, but rather you cannot possess more than 10 rounds on your person while you are hunting in a mentored hunt situation. In my state we have a waterfowl management area where people apply for blinds to hunt ducks and geese. You are not allowed to take more than ten shells per person into the blind to hunt waterfowl. Many people have been prosecuted for leaving the blind and bringing more shells back into the blind after they ran out of shells and those prosecutions all held up in court. Hunting is voluntary, if you want to exercise the privilege to hunt, you must obey the rules.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-02-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Oltimr I am not sure what you meant by" hunting in a mentored hunt situation". I assume you meant youth hunt or something similar but the way I interpret the law no hunter is allowed to hunt whitetail with more than 10 cartridges when hunting with a high powered rifle.(unless they carry more than one rifle) and even at that I think the second rifle would have to be of a different caliber. For Hunters Life,as far as being illegal all I can say is for many years now if you hunt dove on dnr properties in Indiana you are only allowed 50 non-tox shells per hunter per day and I am not going to be the one to argue the point with a judge.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Yes it is a privilege and yes it is voluntary but that still doesn't give any state the right to circumvent your rights. This is the very definition of slippery slope legal bs that the states get away with all the time. To make the point clear, if so and so state can make this law for hunters, why can't that state make it for everyone else? A hunter can't possess more than 10 rounds of ammo in the field, why do they need more than 10 rounds at home? Yes that is carrying things far but you get the point I am sure. And to be honest, do not think for one single second that the anti gun people haven't thought in that very same process. They look at the various hunting regulations that we hunters follow and try to take any restrictions and make them apply to everyone.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Supreme Court has already ruled that the 2nd amendment is not absolute. Can you carry a firearm in a US Post Office or a school or a Court House? No you cannot. While we may not like it, the decision has already been made that restrictions can be made on the 2nd amendment, which by the way pertains to the right to bear arms , not ammunition which is how several states have been able to prohibit having your handgun loaded with hollow points. What you would like to be and what is, unfortunately are two different things. As a retired law enforcement officer I can carry a concealed handgun in all 50 states so long as I qualify every year. However, as I travel through different states I have to know the laws of the states because while federal law allows me to carry a firearm, it does not supersede a state law on the kind of ammunition I can have in my possession in a state that forbids the mere possession of a certain kind of ammunition. While I wish it were not that way, I must live in the world the way it is, not the way I wish it was, unless I am willing to get arrested, go to jail, post bond and fight the charges on the grounds of the 2nd amendment, which has already been weakened by the SCOTUS, which of course I am not willing nor can I afford to do.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Glad to see Indiana simplified its rifle rules. The whole 6mm/30 cal only rule was kind of silly.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I wonder if they know they can't limit the number of cartridges in possession. That's unconstitutional. They can limit magazine capacity like they do with shotguns but they can't limit the number of rounds in possession. At least not yet while we still have second amendment rights. Looks like Indiana is trying to sneak that one in under the wire.
In general DNR is anti 2nd Amendment. Pisses me off.

They can tell you, you can not have a loaded rifle before or after hunting times. Unless you are point it at deer, how is it illegal? How do you not have the right to carry a gun?

Joke is you can carry hand cannon with a scope, under your coat, if you have a permit.

Sadly most people don't have the money to fight DNR. Not sure if get any one to help, but writting and bringing up the anti DNR tendenacies of DNRnto pro gun groups.

While on my hatered for DNR what about 4th Amendment? A cop can not pull you car over cause you have fast car. Cannot enter your home without a warrant. Supereme Court ruled game belongs to people, so DNR can come on your land without any cause. I say its treason.