Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Alabama deer hunting

Old 10-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default Alabama deer hunting

There is a group of us that are considering going to Alabama for some deer hunting next year. We are leaning heavily toward a place called Bent Creek Lodge. Has anyone ever hunted there? Has anyone ever or does anyone hunt in Alabama? We are interested in getting some nice mounts; doesn' t have to be a record or huge. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Alabama deer hunting

I' ve heard of Bent Creek Lodge and as far as I know they have a good reputation, but I have no personal information. I hunt in Alabama and there is a good deer population, but as far as trophy deer harvest you just have to go and find out. We had a guy call asking about a hunt Sunday, wanting to know if we would guarantee a trophy deer. After he was told no, he hung up.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Alabama offers some awesome hunting! Few years back we had about a thousand acers in Huntville AL. near paint rock.

The hunting was great and the land is versitle good hunting, go for it.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM

Dont do it. I lived in Alabama for 6 years. I had several high priced leases in the famed Black Belt near Master Rack Lodge. Don' t believe the hype. All pines with small hardwood bottoms.

I guess it would be ok if you are looking to extend your season in Jan. and eat some southern food...but don' t expect trophy class deer.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:42 PM

dont listen to blood trail.. there have been some Monster deer killed out of Alabama.. you just have to find the right spot.. they are not nearly as common But they are here.. if you read in all your magazines.. Alabama is one of the top 5-8 states to hunt in for Whitetail.. we have one of the largest populations.. one negative thing is that our rut is not strong at all.. because the doe/buck ratio is so high..its no Alberta or Iowa deer but its not as expensive either.. besides.. you' ll get to enjoy the " southern hospitatilty"
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 AM

If Alabama did not have such liberal bag limits and a long season it would not get the play it does. The reason why Alabama in all of the magazines is because Realtree has property there and Buckmasters are located in Montgomery. When watching his show you see Jackie Bushman shoot 10 pointers in Canada and 6 pointers in Alabama there is a reason. You dont hunt elephant in South Carolina! By that I mean they aint there and Jackie knows it.

Look at the record books. There are COUNTIES in WI, MN and IL with more record class animals than the entire state of AL. You may not be seeking only trophy class animals but the facts dont lie... there are far better places to go than Alabama.

I agree with Josh E. The food is tough to beat.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:12 AM

As a lifelong Alabama resident, I' d advise you to look elsewhere for a trophy buck hunt. We' ve got high deer densities in most counties, but none are well known for trophy class deer.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:58 PM

What about Texas,watching TV hunting shows they get some real nice Bucks.The one' s they pass up look good to me.From what I can gather they are hunting on private ranches.

Joe
Old 11-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Texas has some huge deer, but you better have a huge wallet to get one of those that you see on TV or the magazines. I live in Texas, but for my money, I' d rather hunt the midwest or Saskatchewan (sp?). The deer not only have big racks, but they have huge bodies as well.