HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   treestands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/414826-treestands.html)

redcase7120 07-17-2017 04:19 AM

treestands

Hopefully Im not the only one that feels this way. Hunting from a treestand as I get older not liking it as much. I seem to get colder faster. The thought of falling even though I still wear a harness. I just been think better off just hunting from a blind. Bad thing about blinds is the view isnt as great. Ideas thoughts?

kellyguinn 07-17-2017 04:37 AM

90% Of the time I am either in a blind or up against a tree. I prefer natural blinds and look out over the top of them unless its raining. This gives a much better view compared to looking out of a window. Treestands have their place though but like you I tend to get colder faster and I'm a little uneasy when the wind is blowing the tree around lol

Topgun 3006 07-17-2017 05:22 AM

The older I get (70 in a few weeks) the more I'm on the ground even though I have at least 9 or 10 good tree stands! In fact, almost all the deer I've taken up north were from on the ground well before tree stands were allowed and became the norm.

Hatfield Hunter 07-17-2017 05:49 AM

O K Guys here my tip to ground blinders=- I buy up older artificial xmas trees make a blind out of them works absolutely great near food plots---make a circle out of them with a hole for door, the shape of th4e tree s make natural shooting v,s for shooting lanes you may wish to customize some of the shooting lanes deeper or wider--I have taken deer at 5 feet, I have had seer and other critters bed in my blinds, put a swivel chair with back on it in middle your all set

mrbb 07-17-2017 08:50 AM

if yuou can enclose in the treestand, they can be a bunch warmer, keeping wind off you
I also find using the two person like stands more enjoyable and once set up, , some extra
straps or brace and maybe only going up about 2 sections high, can offer better views,
and if enclosed it keeps your movements very well hidden , and maybe help make you feel safer , not being up[ as high?

as for a tip, and I have been doing this for many yrs now, I have a Lone wolf climbing stand(a few other brands too but prefer this one for this)
I carry JUST the seat climber with me and hunt from the ground a lot, it gets me up off the ground some to get me better views(some what), no more wet worries to sit on, and can be placed on a decent sized tree to help break up my view,
I added a Summit seat as there way more comfortable than the lone wolf deal.
so, its a nice change from a tree stand, doesn't weight very much, can throw it over my shoulder using tree attaching strap and works as a sling to carry it!
if you hunt land where thief isn't a worry you can place out and leave there and not have to carry, can add a plastic bag to keep seat in to keep it dry when you leave too!

flags 07-17-2017 09:30 AM

I've tried tree stand hunting. Don't like it. I find that not only do I get cold but I just can't sit still for that long. I start fidgeting and then my mind starts to wander. About 2 hrs is all I can manage. I'd rather walk my game up if possible and sitting in ambush is my least favorite way to hunt.

As always, feel free to disagree but treestands just aren't my thing.

Oldtimr 07-17-2017 10:34 AM

My stand. Comfortable, room for two and two chairs. Heavy rubber mas on the floor for insulation and comfort when standing. This year I plan to enclose it in thin wood instead of the camo material.

uncle matt 07-17-2017 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by kellyguinn (Post 4310820)
90% Of the time I am either in a blind or up against a tree. I prefer natural blinds and look out over the top of them unless its raining. This gives a much better view compared to looking out of a window. Treestands have their place though but like you I tend to get colder faster and I'm a little uneasy when the wind is blowing the tree around lol

I really agree with kellyguinn. I really like to find a nice blowdown or deadfall tree with a big root ball pulled up and get myself set there.

BRUSE 07-17-2017 05:01 PM

I use a tree stand often and yes I get cold. I've started carrying my heavy stuff with me and adding it as the day goes along. I put my coveralls on before I climb up but I don't zip the legs down right away.
Don't get me wrong I use blinds to but the area I hunt here is crazy thick so just being up high gives a little advantage
I've thought about falling as well and I started wearing a knife on my belt in case I had to cut myself free. I used to keep all my little essentials in my back pack but thought if I fall and the bag is the tree it's no good to me

mep.rgp 07-17-2017 08:41 PM

I've used my two API climbing stands for nearly 15 years and enjoyed every sit. A few things that made them quieter and more comfortable for me...

Carry a foam thermoseat and use it to stand on. Not only does it help silence your foot motion, it helps reduce the heat transfer between your boots and the metal stand.

With regards to a sit for the climber, I got rid of that and added a section of black cargo netting attached with zip ties. The seat is super light weight, comfortable for an all day sit, and I don't have to worry about animals chewing on insulation if I leave my stand out for a few weeks.

Each of these techniques should work with just about any climber, ladder, or permanent stand that you choose.