Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting ranges

Old 05-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Shooting ranges

Hello all. I am new to this forum (and the state as well) and am getting my bearings. I lived the last 10 years in Arkansas and got spoiled as far as bag limits for deer and proximity to a really nice range for $75 per year membership.

I'm currently renting in Independence but work in Liberty and may buy a house closer to work. I'm looking for an outdoor shooting range, soon to be followed by searches for deer and pheasant hunting land. I visited a table at a gun show last fall for a range east of here down I-70 but it is a ways away and they want $200 per year plus $100 initiation fee.

Public ranges are less desirable to me but look more attractive when compared to $200 annual fee. I'm surprised I haven't found more options for this area. So, what's out there guys?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I have to ask, but what state are you in NOW< still in Arkansas, or??

as lots of states have the same city named towns<
so without a state your in , I can only suggest you try contacting the state game dept in what ever state your in and ask them, I am SURE They can guide you to ranges and public places to hunt for free?/
Old 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like he moved across the river to MO judging bt the city names he threw out. $200.00 a year isn't all that bad if they have the services and facilities you need. Generally the better the facilities the more dues coat. Additionally, sometimes high dues are meant to keep the nmber of members at a reasonable level so members are not tripping on one another. I am sure you could find clubs for less money if you looked around. Go to a real gun shop, not a big box store gun dept and ask where some gun clubs are. Most clubs in my area are also now charging asn initiation fee for new members, it is one time unless you let your membership lapse and have to rejoin. Our club just instituted a minimum number of hours each member must give in working for the club or there is a $25.00 fee at renewal time in addition to the dues.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Check out Parma woods in platte county Missouri. Also go to where to shoot.org and you can find a few by zip code. Parma woods is nice it's close and doesn't cost much at all. Good luck
Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree....the Towns and I-70 sounds like Your in the St. Louis Mo. Area.Go to the Missouri Dept of Conservation Site and look up where thier Shooting Ranges are located.Im further South and know of a few free Shooting Ranges down here....the Apple Creek Shooting Range is very nice and has a Pistol/Firearm Range,a Shotgun Range,a nice Rifle Range with targets out to 50 and 100 Yards and another longer Rifle Range at 200-275 Yards and a Bow Range with targets.There should be other Ranges closer to St.Louis?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Parma woods in platte county Missouri.
X2.

Another option if you get that way is Hillsdale Lake on the Kansas side. There's a public range there.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

He hasn't been back to the forum since the day of his post.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
He hasn't been back to the forum since the day of his post.
Yep, another one time wonder!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Spike

Sorry guys. I got busy and haven't been on in a while. Thanks for the replies. I am living in Independence, not the St. Louis area. (I'm not sure where that idea came from since I posted I'm living in Independence)

Thanks for the "Where to shoot.org" tip. Has anyone tried the Lake City Range in Buckner?