Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Latest on CWD in PA

Old 05-26-2017, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Michigan found TB in the north eastern upper part of Michigan below the bridge. They adopted a now baiting for deer and if it is brown it is down policy. The people caught baiting got a pretty hefty fine but kept at it. We had a bee yard on one property and some one the owner allowed to hunt (tongue in cheek) there just started dumping apples by the pick up load by a wild apple tree and set up a blind near it.

I asked the owner to get them to move their blind but he was having a hard time of it so we removed our bee hives from the property. We also called the rap line and reported it. The hunter did finally get ticketed for it based on the amount of apples size of the tree and month of the year and still fresh apples.

So it is partly the fault of so called hunters spreading the diseases also. We now have an out break at a deer farm of CWD in Michigan to deal with.

Al
Old 06-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Spike

One of my stupid FB friends post pictures of him feeding deer bags of corn. The deer are literally face to face munching down corn. I tried explaining to him deer hang out together; they are never head to head, or within touching distance. They will all spread disease & die in short order. He thinks he's doing them a favor.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Especially in the winter..disease aside. Deer adapt to a low protein diet in winter and when supplemental fed can have a problem digesting the feed. If you want to help them out in a tough winter cut some high cedar bows down. They will be on it like a magnet.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is not unusual in PA to find dead deer and elk with a belly full of corn that they could not digest. When they find a source of corn after eating the browse they should be eating in the winter they will stay with the corn until it kills them. This is in addition to the risk of spreading disease by feeding.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Spike

In Arkansas, where CWD was found less than two years ago, the G&F suspended year round feeding in the CWD zone, but allows baiting during season. Their reasoning is that allowing the use of corn - or other bait - during season will help hunters harvest more deer - which is a goal of G&F in the CWD area.

Fortunately, we don't have the problem with deer dying with bellies full of corn in the winter. Many deer clubs feed year round in this state - with so far - no ill effects on the deer. I would guess some of the big ranches in Texas have deer on them (and a lot of them), that eat more hunter provided food in a year than natural food.