Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Paw-Paw Tree

Old 05-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Spike

Question Paw-Paw Tree

Guys, I have just come to the knowledge of a Paw-Paw Tree. My son-in-law was over last night, and he was telling me about a wild fruit tree that he knows on a spot not far from where he lives. I have been on the search for native plants for my yard to attract birds and other wildlife. One of the things I came across searching the internet was a pdf from Audubon titled "Audubon Arkansas". In the list one of the trees listed is the Pawpaw.

Question: Are the whitetails attracted to this wild fruit?

Thanks for any information!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know deer do not like the smell of the leaves and I have never seen them eating the fruit they may after it is ripe and on the ground, but raccoons like them. Before they are ripe they are like unripe Persimmons, they will draw your mouth like alum. When they are ripe they taste a little like a banana but mushy like a custard. I have a woods with paw paw trees about a half mile from my house. I am surprised how many people do not know what they are or never saw one. The farmer who owns the property they are on didn't know what they were or that he had some in his woods, I told him when I went to asked permission to hunt doves. The trees have very big leaves and the fruit is very hard to see until you learn how to look for them. A lot of times wild paw paws grow in small groves in the woods. It is the leaves that give the trees away. Look for the trees around June when the leaves are out all the way. In May they flower and have kinda maroon small flowers that stink. When they are ripe the skin will be a little yellow and brown instead of green. They do not last long after ripening and refrigeration ruins them. I look for the fruit in late summer, August and September around here. I am not crazy about the taste but some folks love them. You can buy them from orchard nurseries if you want to plant some for wildlife.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-18-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Spike

Wow! Fantastic reply with lots of information regarding the question and some to boot. I will be on the lookout the next time I hit the woods. My wife and I hike quite a bit, and both of us enjoy the outdoors. I grew up in Mississippi but never (to my knowledge) came across a Paw-Paw Tree.

I might try the fruit before I decide whether or not to purchase one for planting in the yard.

Thanks, Oldtimr! I can easily see this will be a nice site for obtaining good info and maybe a few laughs.

Take care!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

I kind of wish we had some on our farm.

. . .

Come to think of it, we just might have one somewhere in the timber.