Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new hunting gear help

Old 05-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or, his dad was shooting FMJs, or the first couple of the shots weren't even vital hits. Under either or both of those conditions, the story is plausible.

On top of that, he wasn't there, and is getting the story secondhand (assuming he's literally not making it up, per your "troll thesis"). Under your "rookie" thesis, I think the biggest problem here is his attitude toward hunting; the story wouldn't be his fault. I'm afraid his attitude is common, though.

A friend of mine (also from Tennessee) moved to Chicagoland and met some guys who like to hunt in Southern Wisconsin. The way they talked about shooting deer as though they were re-enacting a scene from some WWII movie really bothered him---slinging lots of lead on a drive, boasting about shooting from the hip (which probably never happened, but the fact they relish telling the story that way tells you so much is wrong).
Probably though, that's just how they were raised and how a number of people around them talk about it---hunting culture for some people gets reduced to some bizarre macho-fest whose focus is on destruction and domination, with little appreciation for nature.

If he's willing to drop his tone out of respect, then we should move on and hope he's provoked by the threads on this site to see hunting in a more respectful way. If he doesn't, he's either a troll or ain't worth the time. Proof'll be in the pudding.