Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Which tight cover deer/bear gun >

Which tight cover deer/bear gun

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose
Savage Hot Hunter
5.56%
Savage Model 10/11 Scout
0%
Remington 700 (shorter variant)
11.11%
Remington Model 7
11.11%
Winchester Model 70
5.56%
Howa Scout
0%
Ruger m77
0%
Marlin 336
50.00%
Browning x-bolt
16.67%
Mossberg MVP
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Which tight cover deer/bear gun

Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

That may be true and it may not Flags. As far as body weight, it aint at all. Since the late 90's to early 2000's PA has consistently seen harvested bears in the 600-850 pound range and many more have been observed but not taken. In other words, the smart ones

And as far as Black Bears not hibernating in NC. That is a 100% myth. They don't go down as long or as hard generally as their northern kin but they absolutely do hibernate.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA has and has had many bears approaching and exceeding 800 lbs. There are genetics involved as well as food. Bronko was correct, we have the largest black bears in the country in PA. There is a black bear full body mount in the Cabelas store that was killed illegally in Lycoming Co. PA that was well over 800 lbs. The taxidermist that mounted it had to use a Grisly bear form to mount it. The bear biologist at the time said there are at least two more bears that are as large or larger still alive in the Poconos. Just one recent one.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ylvania#page-2
Old 02-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
I'm pretty sure that NC has the biggest average body weight. The bear there don't hibernate and feed all year long. PA has kicked out some huge bear but I'm betting the average NC bruin will outweigh the average PA bruin. For what it is worth record scores on bear are done by measuring the skull and not by body weight. A bear with a big skull doesn't necessarily equate to a bear with a big body.
Not quite Flags. I'd say they are pretty much neck and neck. The heaviest ever killed in NC was 880 lb and the heaviest in PA 879 lbs!
Second was 782 vs 704. But articles do suggest because like you stated, they don't hibernate and are getting fatter and fatter. Good thing B&C only recognizes skull size. Sort of like deer and antler size.
Heck if weight was to way a trophy was regulated I myself would be a much better trophy now then I was 20 years ago!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That may be true and it may not Flags. As far as body weight, it aint at all. Since the late 90's to early 2000's PA has consistently seen harvested bears in the 600-850 pound range and many more have been observed but not taken. In other words, the smart ones

So has NC. Like I said, I'm talking about the average weight not the oversized ones that hit the paper.

And as far as Black Bears not hibernating in NC. That is a 100% myth. They don't go down as long or as hard generally as their northern kin but they absolutely do hibernate.

Not in the southern part of NC. In the northern part they do a semi hibernation but they go in and out and are feeding while they do that. They don't fast for several months like the PA bears have to.
Got a good friend of mine in NC that guides. His average bear is nearly 400 lbs and that's an average. I doubt PA can equal that as a flat average. I've seen a lot of pics of bear taken in PA that were very small and a few that were nearly cubs.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not all bears in PA truly hibernate except bred sows. Boars and unbred sows will nest on top of the ground or hole up and when the weather breaks which it does several times a winter they will get up and out and forage.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-01-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hibernation with Black Bears is differing across the country. Up in Canada and Alaska, they go down for the count. In the lower 48 it's more of an up and down thing in almost ALL of the states. Your hard frozen really upper 48 states see some serious down hibernating bears but for the most part, it's the bred sows that hit the hay and the unbred sows and the older boars are up and down quite a bit. Especially in seasons like this year. Cold and warm from week to week really disrupts their cycles. Back in the dark ages when I hunted blackies, I hunted NC quite often with it being so close to my stomping grounds. Some in the spring would be all scrawny from hibernation and others would be fairly fat and sassy.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing about the habits of wildlife, you should never say always, or never about them.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

In regard to the earlier post about a semi-auto rifle in PA. Looks like this passed unanimously by the PGC and will go in for a final vote during the March 27-28 meeting. This is from an email I received from NRA-ILA
Old 02-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh lord....Like opening day on the game lands didn't sound (and feel) like a war zone as it was!!! Good luck guys!! I'll be on private lands miles and miles away from any game lands If I even make it over to Pa this year. May be in Alaska since I've missed the past 2 years!! I needs me some Moose Meat!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm always on public land SH. And last year, except for some road hunters, I didn't see a single hunter in the woods other than my partner. I hunt on coal company property and state forest land exclusively. I don't know any land owners and I can't remember the last time I hunted a state game land property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.