Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First shed of the year.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Good looking antler. Did you happen to measure it?
Not yet, I accidentally left it in the hunting shack at the farm.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

YES I have read a LOT on deer and what makes them tick, might call me a nut about deer over the past 30+ yrs
BUT that's my point, and you's are basically agreeing with me
a LOT has to do with things, and NOT one single thing really controls when they come off

THIS< when I said to the other poster, that HE Might be wrong in that antlers DON"T come off till later in his area

as you's all agree'd that variable's can exist any where at any time.

MY findings in my area, have been crazy all over the broad, as I stated
been watching things super close for yrs and yrs and will see more than half shed early and other half hold them WAY late into spring
all again have access to same food, does and pressure and weather

WHY half will loose them early yr after yr and others NOT, still makes NO real sense to me
testosterone or not, there sure sems to me , to be something else casuing them to come off

ALSO< if you read enough about whitetails
you will also have read that its been proven, that some NEVER shed there antlers, RARE, but has been known to happen
same as some don';t shed till new one's almost push them off
Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
mrbb how did you ever even find that shed? You must have great eye sight.
I actually have found smaller one's LOL

used to spend a insane amount amount of time each yr looking for them, trying to keep tabs on them on the one property
also played with a LOT of design like traps and fencing about food plots hoping to help with them coming off, and making finding easier
but some times its just DUMB luck , maybe more times than not LOL

Last edited by mrbb; 01-17-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

99% of all the sheds I have found have been dumb luck.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
YES I have read a LOT on deer and what makes them tick, might call me a nut about deer over the past 30+ yrs
BUT that's my point, and you's are basically agreeing with me
a LOT has to do with things, and NOT one single thing really controls when they come off

THIS< when I said to the other poster, that HE Might be wrong in that antlers DON"T come off till later in his area

as you's all agree'd that variable's can exist any where at any time.

MY findings in my area, have been crazy all over the broad, as I stated
been watching things super close for yrs and yrs and will see more than half shed early and other half hold them WAY late into spring
all again have access to same food, does and pressure and weather

WHY half will loose them early yr after yr and others NOT, still makes NO real sense to me
testosterone or not, there sure sems to me , to be something else casuing them to come off

ALSO< if you read enough about whitetails
you will also have read that its been proven, that some NEVER shed there antlers, RARE, but has been known to happen
same as some don';t shed till new one's almost push them off
Not saying you're wrong by no means. The earliest I've seen them drop is mid February around here and the latest is mid to late April, which rarely happens.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our neighbor shot a 13 pointer back in 2006 on the rifle opener. This would be the Monday after Thanksgiving. He pulled on the antler and it popped right off. A few years later, this same thing happened to a buddy of mine. Same time of year and same general area. Those were old bucks.

The first day of the old PA doe season was a little over 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. My dad thought he shot a doe. He walked over and it had bloody pedicles. He backtracked the deer's trail and found both sheds. They were spikes. So, he was a young deer.

For the last several winters, we have had cameras in popular winter deer areas. The latest I saw a buck holding was the last week in Feb, a couple years ago. However, one year, we saw a buck with one side holding in spring gobbler. Around May 1st. That is really rare.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Several have been found in IN too. Going to pull some cards and look this weekend.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

These two are still hanging on around here. No day light pictures of them...
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails First shed of the year.-mfdc1488.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

I did find a small 4 pt Sat. But got lots of pics of bucks still holding on to both sides. Walked by where I put my mineral site in summer and they have been tearing up the ground. I am going to place a TR there sat.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
These two are still hanging on around here. No day light pictures of them...
-Jake
They look good and healthy for January.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.