Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting burned areas

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting burned areas

So ive got a public land hunt comin up in a week and was scouting an area a few days ago that had just been controlled burned very recently. Still smoking, no green shoots growing yet. Its an area of 20 yr old pines that is surrounded by thick swamp. Would this burned area be a good spot to climb up and watch despite it being such a fresh burn? Any experience with burns?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

It MIGHT be...But I sorta doubt it...If there is decent brows nearby then I'd say no. Now when those shoots start popping up, them deer will be all over those fresh youngins. But if it's as you say, still smoking, then probably not.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Still smoking - I doubt it ??

The start of the new green "shoots", everything will be there eating !!!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

When I was working in Colorado there was an area hit by a fire. We hiked into it about a week after it was over and there was a very nice 5X5 bull elk walking across one of the hillsides. Looking around trying to figure out what happened to his bedroom I suppose. This close, I would guess it probably wouldn't be any good. Once the regrowth starts though they'll be feeding there.
-Jake
Old 01-14-2017, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the very least, be thinking about it for next year. Ought to be all kinds of goodies for deer next season.

I would keep an eye on it. It will be springing to life very quickly and there might be forbs or something that come in as part of the first wave of growth.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

After a burn, regrowth usually comes quickly. There will be a lot of good browse and grazable vegetation. Next year the hunting should be pretty good.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:55 AM
Banned

never know. even if they are not feeding there , they may be crossing it. game returns after a fire very quickly sometimes.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought I had is that it might affect game travel by altering food sources. If it does, you might be able to utilize that information to get yourself in the right place for a shot.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Yea i may slip in there and hunt it. I know one thing bout burns... good luck trying to find blood on burnt ground. Gotta aim real careful
Old 01-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I would check it out! I hunted several military bases that did control burns often and we'd hunt those areas with success. You never when ones gonna come by good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.