Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shaded Food Plots???

Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shaded Food Plots???

This year I planted some purple top turnip that came up but a lot of it died off. I am thinking it's because my property is mostly on a north facing slope and a lot of tree canopy on it (don't want to cut anymore trees). Is there a food that will keep the deer in the area year round that tolerates shaded areas? I was told clover might work but would like some expert opinions.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clover,winter wheat,rye,and oats

Did you possibly plants to many turnips and they starved each other out?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the clover and winter wheat from experience
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rape seed also does very well in Tennessee. And you can't go wrong with clover either! Rock also made a really good point as well. You MAY have over planted as turnips do have a tendency to really suck up the resources. I learned that lesson the hard way and I think Rock did too
Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

As long as the plot gets at least 6 hours of sun a day, the clover will do fine! Oats are a good mix with the clover as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Rape seed also does very well in Tennessee. And you can't go wrong with clover either! Rock also made a really good point as well. You MAY have over planted as turnips do have a tendency to really suck up the resources. I learned that lesson the hard way and I think Rock did too
Of course.

As far as the winter wheat types the rye is the easiest to grow. That stuff will damn near grow in your pocket.

If you are going to do mixes its best to separate it the first year so you know what worked and what didn't
Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input... also, no didn't plant to close, you can see the areas in my plot that get more sunlight are much nicer and bigger plants than the heavily shaded areas.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skiftcky
Thanks for the input... also, no didn't plant to close, you can see the areas in my plot that get more sunlight are much nicer and bigger plants than the heavily shaded areas.
Go back to turnips in those areas and clover for the rest.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough to get and maintain a vigorous food plot in shaded areas. One key is a good pH. Most shaded areas will have a high acidity from decayed leaves, pine straw, etc. Soil test or if not, cover the area with ag lime at a rate of about 1 ton/acre rate. Should help.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clover and oats work well. Oats will grow on pavement so shade isn't a problem