Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.444 rifle

Old 12-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default .444 rifle

I hunt in Fla and thru talkin with other hunters, realized that you can use a rifle during muzzleloader season but the rules state it has to be a single shot that is over a .40 cal bullet. Alot of guys are using a .444 cal rifle which i have heard of and is new to me. Have any of yall had any experience with a .444 huntin deer? Is it hard to find ammo for and what make/model do yall suggest for the rifle. Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would strongly suggest speaking with the DNR\game wardens about this before doing it. Make sure its legal. Check with the law first.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I would strongly suggest speaking with the DNR\game wardens about this before doing it. Make sure its legal. Check with the law first.
Yes sir I will. I have a cva optima but would rather use a rifle if i could. Less dirty and more power
Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get a 45-70 in single shot.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard of states that allow certain centerfire cartridges, in singleshot rifles to be used in muzzleloader seasons. Make sure it's legal there. I am sure it is limited by .40+ and in straight-wall cartridges only. BTW, .444 is pretty much available, whereas my 6MM Rem. and .300 Savage are impossible to find here if you don't reload!
Old 12-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whoever told you that nonsense doesn't have your best interest at heart FlaBoy18...No cartridge, center fire, or even breech loaded firearm is legal during the ML season in Florida.
Muzzleloading guns firing single bullets must be at least .40-caliber. Muzzleloading guns firing two or more balls must be 20-gauge or larger.
“The legal types of guns for use during the muzzleloading gun season use black powder or a non-nitro-cellulose substitute and are fired by wheel lock, flintlock or percussion cap ignition (including 209 primers). Muzzleloaders using smokeless powder, those that can be loaded from the breech or those with self-contained cartridge ammunition capabilities are not legal during this period. Shotgun or 209 type primers are considered percussion caps and are legal to use.”
Old 12-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Whoever told you that nonsense doesn't have your best interest at heart FlaBoy18...No cartridge, center fire, or even breech loaded firearm is legal during the ML season in Florida.
Well guess i got confused because of the part stating the single shot guns as long as its a 40 cal or larger
Old 12-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Must have missed this part: Muzzleloading guns firing single bullets. Good thing Super_hunt checked the regulations.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Always check officially before listening to word of mouth... In Pa this year I heard through several people that the statewide bear season was extended due to poor harvest numbers in the regular season... Now, there are areas that the extended season did exist, but only in specific units... Word of mouth, especially when it's false, can be dangerous.
-Jake
Old 12-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JagMagMan
I have heard of states that allow certain centerfire cartridges, in singleshot rifles to be used in muzzleloader seasons. Make sure it's legal there. I am sure it is limited by .40+ and in straight-wall cartridges only. BTW, .444 is pretty much available, whereas my 6MM Rem. and .300 Savage are impossible to find here if you don't reload!
Mind finding those states? Because I sure haven't ever heard of a center fire being legal in ANY state during MLer season. Not even old black powder cartridge rifles are allowed. If you don't stuff it from the front, it aint allowed in ANY state during MLer season. I have heard of a couple of states testing out a new season for antique BP cartridge rifles such as the 1873 Sharps .45-70 along with front stuffers. But it isn't a MLer season. It's a whole other season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.