Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Recovery time and temp impact on meat >

Recovery time and temp impact on meat

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Recovery time and temp impact on meat

Old 12-03-2016, 04:57 AM
Banned

don't doubt for a second it happens. I do however doubt it happens as often as most believe
Old 12-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The outside of the Deer may be cool, the inside not so much. The bacteria inside, in the guts and other places keeps right on reproducing and makes it's own heat.

The guy that taught me said to find your Deer as soon as possible. Many nights I've spent hours looking for a Deer or Hog, often until 3-4 A.M., caught a couple of hours of sleep and been out again at first light.

The guy that taught me, said recover your Deer as soon as possible. Then prop the body cavity open with a stick, to cool the insides down as quick as possible. Once you get the insides cooled down and unless it is really hot out, you then have some time for transport or whatever.

I like to have them in my cool room (refrigerated closet) within four hours if possible, best scenario. Or in the cooler before the heat of day.

My guess is you may have had a perfect storm, the bacteria started building heat faster than your Deer could cool down.

No law against selling Deer here, prime meat can bring $7-8 a pound with the bones, un butchered.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 12-03-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Unless the deer smelled I would not have said anything to the processor about the way the deer was found. That way if there was any kind of problem they would be calling me to ask questions if there was a problem. Have never heard of meat going bad that fast at that temperature.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've been known to throw away meat. One time, it just tasted nasty..weird tasting. Another time, the meat had a nasty smell.

More recently, I was at the Elk processor. Guys were coming in with Elk in 80 degree weather. The Elk was warm to the touch. Sat out the entire night, gutted & skinned. I'm not sure I would have eaten it. I spoke to them, and they weren't concerned.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I had 1 last month the exact same way. Got into the low 40's overnight. Recovered next morning. Meat was fine.

I've heard that as long as the meat is in the cooling down process and doesn't start to warm, it will be ok.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

Only a comment--Not sticking up for anybody----If a processor cuts and processes a spoiled deer or any animal it may spoil the next batches also so I imagine they gotta be pretty careful !!
Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

If that deer was gut shot it is very probable that it had an bad smell. The OP said it was heart shot. We don't know if that is the case or not but I have never been in a butcher shop, and I have been in a lot of them for a lot of years, that would turn down a higher fee for processing if they didn't have concern about the deer being tainted. I have seen deer that were shot poorly in the winter when it was very cold outside, much colder than 44 degrees and not found until the next day that stunk and had green on the areas in the body cavity where the intestinal and stomach juices laid inside until it was gutted. That thick hollow haired pelt on a deer not only keeps cold out it keeps heat inside and those pesky bacteria don't die when the deer does. Bottom line is, all we know is what we were told.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-05-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 AM
Banned

yep. my thoughts also.