Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bullet Choice for 30 30

Old 12-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bullet Choice for 30 30

Ive got a few good deer rifles. But I saw my old winchester ranger 30 30 in the closet the other day, and I wanna dust it off and use it. Right now it is topped with an old bushell 3x9x40. And I have a box of Remington Cor-Lokt 150 grain round nose ammo. But Ive been reading some reviews on the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo and it seems to be doing the trick. I was just wondering if any of yall use it. Ive had mixed results from older 30 30 ammo. And the country ill be hunting most shots will be less than 150 yards in the hardwoods.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leverevolution are the way to go. They have a better shape and are faster than the round nose bullets. My brother uses them in his 30-30 and I use them in my Marlin 45-70 guide gun.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what Oldtimr stated! I have an old bolt action Savage that I rarely use up in northern MI unless the weather is real nasty and the shot will be close because it has open sights. I quit using Core Lokts quiet a while back and went with the Leverevolutions not long after they were introduced by Hornady. They shoot more accurately and can be used at longer distances if you have a scoped rifle just in case that big one is out further than you would use the older ammo.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed most of my deer with my Marlin (but my .270 is catching up.)
No doubt the Leverevolutions are good. I haven't used them, but If your really need the extra range I'm sure they are great. In the woods, in a climber the Marlin is terrific. All my shots are always close. One great thing about the 30/30 is the lower velocity which allows close range shooting without worrying about how the bullet will perform. You don't need anything real fancy. Just find the least expensive off the shelf that shoots the best out of your rifle. I have never worried about them doing their job on deer. The best off the shelf for my rifle has been the 150 or sometimes 170 grain Winchester power points. I've played around and reloaded Speer 150 gr. soft points, but I am not gaining much over the off the shelf. Most of my reloading time is done with the .270. If I hunted up north were the deer are bigger I would go 170gr.

C. Davis
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I switched to the leverevolution in .44mag this season. They group really well at 100. Haven't hit a deer with one yet.
-Jake
Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have killed quite a few deer w/ my .30-30 using Rem. Core-Lokts & also the Winchester Super-Xs. Bought a 336 in .35 Remington a few years back & killed 2 deer & a black bear w/ the Hornady LeveRevolutions & they did a pretty good job also...
Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Like Coolbrze I also have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I shot my first buck with years ago. I have been using my 7mm Rem Mag primarily since my youth on big open fields but have been wanting to shoot the .35 again for nostalgic reasons and also because it is a very effective round if not shooting too far. I have been using the Hornady Leverevolution ammo with great results.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another "vote" for Leverlution. But nothing wrong with the long standing 150-170 grain flat nose stuff that has been being used in 30-30 tube magazines for 100+ years. Hunters across the US have killed a many a critter with that stuff.

I no longer use my 30-30, but instead a Marlin "Guide" in .444 Marlin. Arguably not the best of the .44-.45 caliber rounds but this is a handy dandy short rifle for the tree stand, heavy woods hunting that I do.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the input guys. I picked up a box of 160gr. Leverevolution, 150 Remington corelokt, and some 170 grain Winchester power points. And I went and tried them out all at 100 yards. And the 150gr. Remington corelokts grouped the best, so im gonna go with them. My shots shouldn't be more than 100 yards anyways.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fishinty
thanks for the input guys. I picked up a box of 160gr. Leverevolution, 150 Remington corelokt, and some 170 grain Winchester power points. And I went and tried them out all at 100 yards. And the 150gr. Remington corelokts grouped the best, so im gonna go with them. My shots shouldn't be more than 100 yards anyways.
And that my friends is the way it's done.

Just think of the confidence level you now bring into the field with you !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.