Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal >

Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal

Old 11-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal

Hunting in Md. doing shotgun season which is 2 weeks here starting nov 26. got my stand up 2 weeks ago in a creek bed 100 yards from bedding site. (small property 6 acres already got another hunter on it that's tagged a 10 and 11 pt on it during the rut. put corn down and put camera up. past week see nothing but same 4 does. then 2 days ago a monster shows up in middle of the night. 12 pt massive rack. he shows up just at first light also both days in a row. another monster shows up last night 10 pt. middle of the night. Now I'm new to this so bear with me. but should I keep baiting or quit the bait and just keep the pile small so they have to fight for the food? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. season starts this sat for shotgun so I don't have much time. also stand is a 2 person so I cant really up and move it.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have cameras out around feeders. What I have learned is that you can't set your clock to what a Buck will do. A lot of times I'll get a picture of a certain deer every few days. Most (almost all) of the time a buck that I consider a monster will not come to the feeder in the daytime. One thing I know for certain is that if you are upwind of where the corn is, you will not see the buck. You might not see the does. That is where my climber comes into play. I check my weather app, and it will give me direction of the wind. I like to set up on the trails leading to the feeder instead of looking at the feeder. If you really want that buck, hunting the trails around that creek bed might be your best bet. If you know where he is bedding down, the next part is just TOS (time on stand.)

C. Davis
Old 11-24-2016, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What C. Davis stated....You'd be better off sitting on a trail away from the corn pile.I've seen Doe's come in to my mineral/salt lick area and watched Bucks stay back in the thick cover.Most Nocturnal Bucks won't be moving at daylight hours until the Rut kick ins or if You can set up near a Scrape/Licking Branch area and catch them working it in the early mornings or late evenings.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Spike

Thanks or the replies fellas. Unfortunatly now all i got is a 2 person stand and its kinda hard to up and move. So i kinda got work with what i got. Season starts tom. Yes as of now i got camera pointed towards the pile. I can see where the bed im going to point it towards the trails good idea. So your saying i should set up a scrape lick where they are bedding area? Should i put a oile in a different locarion also? I dont have much room to hunt i can literally see guys house from my stand so im not super deep in the woods.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rpcross45
Thanks or the replies fellas. Unfortunatly now all i got is a 2 person stand and its kinda hard to up and move. So i kinda got work with what i got. Season starts tom. Yes as of now i got camera pointed towards the pile. I can see where the bed im going to point it towards the trails good idea. So your saying i should set up a scrape lick where they are bedding area? Should i put a oile in a different locarion also? I dont have much room to hunt i can literally see guys house from my stand so im not super deep in the woods.
He is talking about ground scrapes and the licking branches above them that the buck would make. You have to find them. My experience with salt or mineral licks is that after they shed their velvet they quit licking them. The best time to put them out is in the spring and they will hit them for the needed minerals when their antlers are growing. I think they are a waste of time after the summer.

If you sit your stand and the wind is blowing towards the corn, watch for the deer to come from behind you, or to your right or left. Be ready to shoot though because as soon as he gets to the cone of your scent in the wind, he will go in a safe direction.

I think the best bet in your situation is to make the first few times count, Don't over hunt your spot. Try to be right with the wind. All he has to do is scent your a couple of times and he will go nocturnal which he already is most of the time anyway.

C. Davis
Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Spike

Just got in. Well the does were right on schedule. They sat around for about 10 15 min smelled me then took off. couple other set of does came in and slowly walked off. No buck sighting. On camera hes been coming at about 520 545 pm. just barely any light. What would be considered over hunting? I noticed very little morning activity only 430 and so on. Also they arent coming from the corn field. Completely surprised me tbey were coming from the top of the ridge almost directly behind me.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Don't be afraid to climb out of your stand and move. I've shot multiple bucks, including two with a bow, when I saw them heading the other way.... Don't be afraid to get a little aggressive. Climb down and go to where they are going and try to cut them off. Or if you see them coming from a different place just set on the ground and get them there. If you're seeing the buck after dark, maybe move back that trail 100 yards and set up there, that way you see him a little earlier.... Remember, you're not glued to that treestand
-Jake

Edit: the treestand is a great tool... but it's not the only tool. Good luck
Old 11-28-2016, 02:57 AM
Spike

Yeah i waa thinking about just sitting uptop the ridge i have a perfect view of where they are coming from. Thanks for the input fellas hopefully i tag him
Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

On 6 acres patience is your friend not aggression.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 AM
Spike

I noticed they were coming from ridge behind me. Right now im on creek bottom. Do you think that affects anything or should i just be patient and sit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.