Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal >

Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help for a noobie! monster bucks nocturnal

Old 11-28-2016, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rpcross45
I noticed they were coming from ridge behind me. Right now im on creek bottom. Do you think that affects anything or should i just be patient and sit
does the wind swirl in the creek bottom? It probably does.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Spike

Yeah it does. Is that good or bad?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 AM
Banned

bad!
you don't want em to wind you.
if possible set up so you are downwind of where you expect em to show
Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 AM
Spike

If im downwind from where they are going to show wont they smell me?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

you are downwind when the wind blows form them to you
Old 11-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Spike

Ohhh i thought that was upwind
Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kidoggy
you are downwind when the wind blows form them to you
I believe you're actually upwind from the deer if the wind is blowing from the deer to you. Good way to remember is if the wind is in your face, you're upwind. If the wind is to your back, you're downwind.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BrushyPines
I believe you're actually upwind from the deer if the wind is blowing from the deer to you. Good way to remember is if the wind is in your face, you're upwind. If the wind is to your back, you're downwind.
You are incorrect in that what you are saying is exactly the opposite of what hunters commonly call "hunting down wind". kidoggy hit the nail on the head. You always want the wind to be in your face or at least going across in front of you and not with it coming from your back. Therefore, if set up correctly and the wind is in your face you are "down wind" from the direction the wind is coming from.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned

thanks top.

regardless of what you want to call it ,it does not take a rocket scientist to figure ,you DO NOT want the wind to blow from you to the deer.

between the two threads ripcross has started ,I am really beginning to question wether or not he is actually a newbie hunter or simply pulling our legs.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You are incorrect in that what you are saying is exactly the opposite of what hunters commonly call "hunting down wind". kidoggy hit the nail on the head. You always want the wind to be in your face or at least going across in front of you and not with it coming from your back. Therefore, if set up correctly and the wind is in your face you are "down wind" from the direction the wind is coming from.
Now I'm a little confused haha. So you're saying with the wind in your face, your downwind from the deer? How I was explaining it was from the deer's position. With the wind to your back you would be downwind to the deer. Either way it's confusing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.