Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot Placement at Close Range

Old 10-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rjones_ca
Hi New poster to this website just looking for opinions on shot placement (also searching this post for previous post’s) so here is the setup Mossberg 935 rifled barrel 4x fixed scope using partition gold 12g 3inch sabot from tree stand 12foot high, new area for hunting so have clear spot between 20 -60 yards. I have put corn/apples down at 25yrds from stand so here’s the question where would you aim on the whitetail deer. Text books say behind front leg but because of dense bush around me I really want to drop deer in its tracks, I have spent my time sighting in and I’m maintaining a 1/2inch group (freehand) 1inch high of center at 30yrds so I’m comfortable with my shooting. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Just clip the rear of the shoulder blades if you can or just behind the shoulder. The only time I seen deer just drop in there tracks is when I used to use remington copper solids. If you spine shoot your going to waste the best part of the animal Imo unless your archery hunting.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:27 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

As others have said, keep it simple. First I would spend enough range time with this set up to know where a shot would hit at different ranges. And to make sure I could hit my mark.It sounds like you have that covered.
Some quick ballistic calculations show that a sierra SSt 300 gr from 0-100 yds you should be within 1.5 inches of your visual bullseye. Placing that shot in the boiler room should result in a dead and recovered deer.
I don't use a slug gun, but I do use a muzzle loader. I use a 250 gr .50 cal (.45 projectile) and my aim is always the heart lung area. If I hit my mark, they very seldom run more than 20-30 yds. More than half of them have dropped within 10 yds of where they were hit. I have only lost one deer with muzzle loader. A nice buck that was the first deer I shot with muzzle loader. I had no scope on that rifle....I'm pretty sure the fault was my shot placement being high.
The only other thing I can think of is that 25 yds is very close unless you have a heck of a lot of cover. Deer are always busting me.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

If deer are always busting you then you might want to look at scent control and movement in the stand. If done right they should never even know you are there until they fall down. Just being able to hit a spot on an animal is just a small part of hunting.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in PA is what got me using the high shoulder placement. Just too many people trying to get ya deer on public lands. If you don't drop it right there during gun season, you can pretty much write off that deer as when you find it, more than likely someone else will be gutting it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Banned

Simple: shoot the damn head! Take your time and make sure the deer has no idea your there and pull the trigger when your crosshairs on the head. Now, if your not using a scope don't even bother with this shot. I've shot 11 of my 13 deer with head shots. Pretty simple shot if you put in time at the range and are steady and close enough. Don't listen to the people that say don't aim for the head, as they probably never tried and wouldn't be able to hit it. No meat wasted either!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muzzleloaderhunter
Simple: shoot the damn head! Take your time and make sure the deer has no idea your there and pull the trigger when your crosshairs on the head. Now, if your not using a scope don't even bother with this shot. I've shot 11 of my 13 deer with head shots. Pretty simple shot if you put in time at the range and are steady and close enough. Don't listen to the people that say don't aim for the head, as they probably never tried and wouldn't be able to hit it. No meat wasted either!
LMAO@ that crapolla. Let me let you in on a little secret there buddy. Ever seen a deer that has starved to death because some rip roaring moron that thought he was a good shot blew off half a deer's jaw? I have! It aint pretty! And that is more common than making a clean brain shot. Head shots are not advocated by ANY ethical hunters! I'll only take one if it is absolutely the ONLY shot I have or will have and I have a rock solid rest and absolutely zero chance of missing. That aint often and I have over 65 years on the butt end of a rifle. Matter of fact, in all those years of hunting, I can count on one hand how many head shots I have taken on deer, elk, and moose. 3!!! Hogs on the other hand, I go for just behind the ear quite often because there is actually a much larger target area to drop a hog in it's tracks than there is on a whitetail.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

deer heads move too fast and have less room for error.....bad combination and a bad idea unless close enough means closer than I think it probably does.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LMAO@ that crapolla. Let me let you in on a little secret there buddy. Ever seen a deer that has starved to death because some rip roaring moron that thought he was a good shot blew off half a deer's jaw? I have! It aint pretty! And that is more common than making a clean brain shot.

I found a really nice 5x5 elk in my native CO that had its lower jaw shot off. Sort of soured me on head shots.

Head shots are not advocated by ANY ethical hunters! I'll only take one if it is absolutely the ONLY shot I have or will have and I have a rock solid rest and absolutely zero chance of missing.

Never seen an instance in which there was "zero" chance of missing.

That aint often and I have over 65 years on the butt end of a rifle. Matter of fact, in all those years of hunting, I can count on one hand how many head shots I have taken on deer, elk, and moose. 3!!!

I have taken 89 deer, 25 elk, 14 pronghorn, 2 black bear, 1 mountain goat and a bighorn sheep. I've taken exactly 2 headshots and those were both before I was 20 years old. I'm 53 now. Anytime I have a shot at the head I also have a shot at the chest and the chest is a much bigger target and doesn't move as much.
So to agree with Super, head shots are an ill-advised option. Too much room for error.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree 100%. I have taken base of the neck where it joins the body a few times but never top of the neck or head.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Banned

Well I've never lost a deer that way. Never shot a jaw off or anything. Sitting in a permanent house stand that's been there for 15 years they are used to it and are almost always within 15-20 yards feeding in the food plot. Never missed a head shot. I know my gun is spot on and would feel comfortable with any shot with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.