Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hanging Trail Cameras High

Old 09-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Hanging Trail Cameras High

One of the things we believe in is hanging your trail cameras high. This is a way to keep the camera out of the range of the deer's nose which helps keep the pressure down in the area. We believe it makes a big difference and helps us get more pictures of bucks. Do you hang your trail cameras high? What other tips do you have for how to use trail cameras to get more pictures and better pattern deer? He put together this video to highlight that and some of the other tips we have and the different ways we use trail cameras.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

in my opinion, the advantage of hanging a camera high is ONLY to prevent theft of it, and by High I mean like 8+ ft high!

and when you hang a camera that high you have to spend a LOT more time at the site, both hanging and checking
so in return your actually adding more scent to the area IMO

next I also think you can MISS more game being higher, pending the type of camera and its trigger zone
last is you can NOT get images of things due to distance added by going higher

me personally I say wear rubber gloves and try and be scent free when placing a cam out
if your worried about scent

and placing the camera on a OPEN side of a tree, it sticks out, so adding cover , say Pine tree limbs about the cam will do two things, will help cover scent, and break up the outline of the camera
even deer can see a NEW object on a blank tree trunk!
add in MOST camera's make some sound when they take a pic's and that is why I think you many times get pic's of deer looking at cam's in pic;s
over just scent!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine about 3 feet high and still get mature bucks. I don't think a plastic box has too much scent and they can see that no human is around. I have had deer look closely and even put their nose on my cameras. The only issue I've had with scent is, if I mess with a camera after eating, a bear might eat it.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
in my opinion, the advantage of hanging a camera high is ONLY to prevent theft of it, and by High I mean like 8+ ft high!

and when you hang a camera that high you have to spend a LOT more time at the site, both hanging and checking
so in return your actually adding more scent to the area IMO

next I also think you can MISS more game being higher, pending the type of camera and its trigger zone
last is you can NOT get images of things due to distance added by going higher

me personally I say wear rubber gloves and try and be scent free when placing a cam out
if your worried about scent

and placing the camera on a OPEN side of a tree, it sticks out, so adding cover , say Pine tree limbs about the cam will do two things, will help cover scent, and break up the outline of the camera
even deer can see a NEW object on a blank tree trunk!
add in MOST camera's make some sound when they take a pic's and that is why I think you many times get pic's of deer looking at cam's in pic;s
over just scent!
Those are valid points. I have definitely noticed that the distance a picture will be taken decreases due to the angle. I certainly wouldn't want to hang the camera 8 ft high because you are right it would be a pain to deal with all the time! Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Too each his own, but my repeat mature buck sightings have increased dramatically since I started hanging my cams 8-10' high angled down. I run cheaper cams on public land. Yes it also means they get stolen less. Been doing it for three years now and It is a noticable difference. It may not work for you but I don't need 100' pics as here in FL 30 yards is a long shot in the nasty stuff. Plus I find the higher angle easier to see the rack and judge points.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes in bear country you learn real fast not to handle food or bait, and then touch a camera, a bear has a nose about 20 times better than a deer, and they have two ways of testing things, bite and taste
if either one results in something they like OR dislike, the damage can be done already!
learned that back in the 90's NEVER to touch a cam after handling foods or things that smell
and all my cam's produced more pic's of all things in the process!
had gotten a few camera's destroyed by bears, got to love that too (minus the costs)
as you first get bear then nose them mouth then inside mount and a few unknown things and then BOOM NO more working camera LOL
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I only hang mine about 4' high
Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 AM
Spike

My first camera was hung at around 3 ft. I got flooded by a tropical storm. Now I hang them at around 6 ft. Hazards of hunting in a swamp.