Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got some stands up today

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Got some stands up today

We have a few adjoining properties we bow hunt here in N. IL. A few stands were loosened up and left up and those will be tightened up and checked later. Today we put 3 of our ladder stands back up. Darkness set in so we have 1 more to set in an area we have not been in. But over all I'm happy. We even seen deer moving around near us.

Good day.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Spike

Dang what happened to your avatar's hand?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ZZredfish1
Dang what happened to your avatar's hand?
Ah nothing. Just rubbed a little dirt and tussin on it and got back out there.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Ah nothing. Just rubbed a little dirt and tussin on it and got back out there.
So do you have to do the whole tree stand thing? Are ground blinds bad?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntlikeagirl
Ground blinds are fine...its just that you are right down with the deer at their level and they generally look for threats on the ground also.
Tree stands get you up a bit so YOU can see farther and also get out of their immediate vision.....they listen 360 degrees and smell whatever the wind carries so that's important to think about too.

I've taken plenty of deer from both.

edit- I'll be hanging stands this weekend AND setting up a ground blind at one spot in case my daughter comes out....she doesn't care for tree stands either, lol. It's no big deal.

Last edited by Fretwear; 10-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntlikeagirl
I pretty much agree with Fretwear.

We put up numerous stands so we have different places to sit for archery hunting the property depending on wind direction and where we are seeing deer.

Ground blinds aren't bad but deer can spook at the sight of a new one. It's not always possible but best to place a ground blind well ahead of hunting days so deer can get used to it. Many hunters add some extra brush, vegetation or corn stalks to their blind set ups. If you are considering using a blind pay special note to safet rules regarding their use. Most states that have a blaze orange rule require a blaze orange flag on them.

First thing I consider when hunting from ground is totally natural blinds which can look like this. Many times while slow stalking I will find something like this and spend time hiding out there. Of course I brush all the dead leaves or things that will make noise away from where I will position myself.

" />