Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thoughts on bale blinds?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Spike

Default thoughts on bale blinds?

Hey y'all,looking to buy a good hay bale blind for my hunting property...looking at the Redkneck bale blinds,but seem a bit pricey,would like peoples thoughts on a good bale blind,I would like it big enough for 2 people,and to be able to shoot a bow out of it,and do some filming with another guy in it,located in Nebraska,so needs to be durable for the harsh winters...any thoughts would help,thanks yall!! happy hunting
Old 09-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WildlifeBiologist402
Hey y'all,looking to buy a good hay bale blind for my hunting property...looking at the Redkneck bale blinds,but seem a bit pricey,would like peoples thoughts on a good bale blind,I would like it big enough for 2 people,and to be able to shoot a bow out of it,and do some filming with another guy in it,located in Nebraska,so needs to be durable for the harsh winters...any thoughts would help,thanks yall!! happy hunting
Hey just have the farmer leave a round bale or 2 on the field ya!!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they bale in the area it is as good as it gets.

.................once you pattern them ??
Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great idea but way over priced IMO...I'd just built one.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A LOT cheaper to build one but unless you have access to heavy gauge plastics, one you build is going to be staying put as it's going to be pretty heavy. Especially a 2 man. Like Rock, I built a couple on my farm in Kentucky quite some years ago. Best blind I've ever shot out of. Had big ole rolls all around me and the deer didn't have a clue. You could probably build on modular in small enough sections to stack into a truck bed. Or rig up a brace setup for roll stabber that you can rig inside the blind to move it around with a tractor. Or set it up on sleds and just scoot it. All kinds of ways to build one and it be portable enough and at least half as much cost.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I can see where they would work in an area where bales are left in fields. Fellow near me has one sitting out in a harvested wheat field along with the straw off the field for goose hunting.
I don't know if his is boughten or home build looks close to the same as the straw does but people can tell.

Here is a links to a DIY home build.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-bale-blind/

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...own-bale-blind

Here is a link to a home built one on a forum. I like how it was done and I can see how it would weigh less than the ones with 2x6 sub frames (over kill I think.). should be lighter to lift up on a snow mobile trailer of the back of a pick up truck by a couple guys.

http://www.iowasportsman.com/forum/print.php?id=876896

Al
Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

Since I live on a hay farm, I've often wondered about these. The price is a big turn off, though.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it is just me or this way for everybody, but the majority of the time the Deer don't show up where I'm looking for them to show up. They just seem to appear.

Being able to only look in one direction is a handicap.

One reason I like open sided ground blinds, I have a silent swivel stool I use.
Even better is a tower large enough to swivel in.
Third choice is being able to see and shoot over as much of an arch as practical.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
A LOT cheaper to build one but unless you have access to heavy gauge plastics, one you build is going to be staying put as it's going to be pretty heavy. Especially a 2 man. Like Rock, I built a couple on my farm in Kentucky quite some years ago. Best blind I've ever shot out of. Had big ole rolls all around me and the deer didn't have a clue. You could probably build on modular in small enough sections to stack into a truck bed. Or rig up a brace setup for roll stabber that you can rig inside the blind to move it around with a tractor. Or set it up on sleds and just scoot it. All kinds of ways to build one and it be portable enough and at least half as much cost.
I'd go with a pvc frame.

I'm not sure its worth it without more information. Its only going to work so many times on the same small farm before it becomes pretty worthless. Probably more value to a traveling hunter IMO.

Last edited by rockport; 09-06-2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Pcv on a 2x4 frame would work great. As for how long they would last just look at some road side project. That stuff lays on the ground and even when the grass has grown up thru it it will still be in decent shape a year later.
You could even remove the mat and fold it up and store inside till next year.
Also the home built ones I saw on the net had shooting windows on all sides and the ends.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.