Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I found a good one (new picture added looking at camera)) >

I found a good one (new picture added looking at camera))

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I found a good one (new picture added looking at camera))

Old 08-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Those are some great bucks for sure! Would you, uh, happen to need a hunting buddy?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
Those are some great bucks for sure! Would you, uh, happen to need a hunting buddy?
LOL Season is a month away so a lot of "buddies" are starting to show up.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
LOL Season is a month away so a lot of "buddies" are starting to show up.
Aint it funny how many "friends" you have around this time of year Rock?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Aint it funny how many "friends" you have around this time of year Rock?
This year when they ask "whats it gonna take for me too hunt?" Ive been telling them "Well, being here in the off season when I was doing the work would have been a damn good start."

I swear a lot of people think it just happens on its own...hell half of them have their own spot they just haven't managed properly.

No you don't get to shoot 2 year olds on your spot then come sit on my place and hunt the bucks I have patiently let grow up.

Last edited by rockport; 08-30-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I told Henry we could let 4 or 5 hunt on the properties this year to help in taking some Does and rag Bucks out but he was like oh hell no! Not yet! I think he's just thinking with his wallet. We are starting to see some pretty dang heavily antlered animals now and they are just getting bigger. He know's I'm selling out soon and moving the family back to Kentucky so he knows he's going to seriously "rack up" (I am REALLY getting good at this pun thing) in the money in the next couple years. It's been a fun 9 years getting those lands producing and holding really good deer so I know exactly what you mean about all the work. Granted yes deer sometimes just pop up with really nice headgear but the simple fact is, to get and HOLD really nice consistently big Bucks, it takes lots of work, a hell of a lot of patience, and proper culling and management practices to get that consistency.

Just yell next summer Rock and I'll send one of the boys over to help ya some.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I told Henry we could let 4 or 5 hunt on the properties this year to help in taking some Does and rag Bucks out but he was like oh hell no! Not yet! I think he's just thinking with his wallet. We are starting to see some pretty dang heavily antlered animals now and they are just getting bigger. He know's I'm selling out soon and moving the family back to Kentucky so he knows he's going to seriously "rack up" (I am REALLY getting good at this pun thing) in the money in the next couple years. It's been a fun 9 years getting those lands producing and holding really good deer so I know exactly what you mean about all the work. Granted yes deer sometimes just pop up with really nice headgear but the simple fact is, to get and HOLD really nice consistently big Bucks, it takes lots of work, a hell of a lot of patience, and proper culling and management practices to get that consistency.

Just yell next summer Rock and I'll send one of the boys over to help ya some.
Ive got a bad situation going on right now and may be taking next year off. My landowner and good buddy has brain cancer. It doesn't look like he will be farming next year. Its tough because I refuse to run a crooked over hunted operation which makes it hard to compete with those who have no problem doing just that.

Not a good situation. Obviously my hunting operation is the least of our worries but I gotta take some time and decide if I want to start over and do this kind of business with anybody else.

Last edited by rockport; 08-30-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that Rock. As I said, if you need help just yell. I'm pretty much worthless nowadays in the "hard work" area at my age and with all my knee and shoulder issues but me boys are still strapping bulls and will go where paps tellsum to! You just yell kiddo and you will have a bull or 2 helping ya! I'd say Id send me oldest girl out to ya but she'd just tick you off and take over. Dang wimmin She's the smartest of them all but unfortunately she's also the meanest.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that Rock. As I said, if you need help just yell. I'm pretty much worthless nowadays in the "hard work" area at my age and with all my knee and shoulder issues but me boys are still strapping bulls and will go where paps tellsum to! You just yell kiddo and you will have a bull or 2 helping ya! I'd say Id send me oldest girl out to ya but she'd just tick you off and take over. Dang wimmin She's the smartest of them all but unfortunately she's also the meanest.
I appreciate it. We have a 40 acre farm in scott county with a little hunting shack. Just me and the family and taking a year to do a lot of hunting Ive kinda been missing for awhile......Dove,Quail,squirrel,rabbit,turkey is really sounding pretty good to me.

Its a couple miles from the Illinois river and about 1200 acres of public land I can teach my daughter how to hunt small game and bank line flathead catfish, trap the river for fur etc. Ive also been considering primitive equipt. on public land.

Deer hunting consumes so much of my time ive been missing a lot of that stuff. It may just be time for me to shift gears a little next year and start teaching my daughter the things that I learned long before I ever learned how to consistently take 6-10 year old whitetail.

For now though I have every intention of putting one more bruiser on the ground this year..

Edit: Yesterday I typed this and today I leased 60 more acres about 12 miles from the 40 acre farm.

Last edited by rockport; 08-31-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a really nice buck!!!!

If you have too many friends showing up to hunt, throw a couple work weekends into the mix. They will suddenly have a lot of family obligations.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I hear you on "friends" showing up out of nowhere wanting to hunt, but not put in the work! haha That's a nice one, Rock. Best of luck to you this year trying to harvest him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.