Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stalk Hunting on Leafy Ground

Old 08-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
Man, last year dragging my button buck way downhill from halfway up the ridge---even with my dad's help---was quite a workout! I can't even imagine what it'll be like if this year I'm fortunate enough to shoot a deer, only this time 150 yards down the other side of the ridge, and then have to take it up, then down!
I wouldn't drag a deer 3 ft. Carry a pack frame and bone them where they hit the ground if you can't drive to it.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I wouldn't drag a deer 3 ft. Carry a pack frame and bone them where they hit the ground if you can't drive to it.
Someday I'd love to do that---Lord knows it'd save me all sorts of trouble and be an invaluable skill for rugged hunts in wilderness areas. Since I'm slowly developing into a mountain hunter, I'm probably putting off the inevitable by not doing that, already.
However, as things stand right now, I don't process my own meat, and I prefer the deer age in the processor's cooler intact, with its hide on. Perhaps part of the reason is I'm concerned that freezer space in our small DC-area apartment cannot accommodate un-butchered quarters for ageing, and the fact we don't have a meat grinder.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Some states mandate checking in a field dressed deer whole.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe VA, TN, and GA all allow checking in by phone for deer, now. But until quite recently it absolutely had to be checked in whole.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Beautiful buck...congrats
Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful! Thanks for the tips, too.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Why you have to make several post all the time that only make sense when put together HE?
Think post count means any thing really?

Al
Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

As hookeye said, alleyyooper, everyone develops their own style---his happens to be stream of consciousness, haha. It may just be a matter of personal taste, but I'd rather read the posts split up by topic than a huge behemoth post.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The way you walk is as important as what you have on your feet. If you want to be quiet you can't wear thick waffle stomping lugged rubber soles. I have sets of homemade vellies and deer hide (hair on) over shoes to dampen the crisp crinkle of leaves and twigs. Animals feet are quiet because they move with the ground and tend to have hair around the edges. They also have small footprints so they affect less area - stepping between more than they step on. I'll wear my vellies while walking in, then strap on the insulated lug boots when I get into the stand too. When you're walking, you're warmer than sitting static, so you really don't need as much boot anyway. A good pair of running shoes will be quieter than a big insulated rubber sole boot.

My preseason prep also involves cutting a highway system with the brush hog, raked clear, to let me move quickly and quietly. I cut it late enough each year to give some grass regrowth, but not so late the deer aren't used to it. It doesn't get me everywhere I want to go, but it gets me a long ways. Plus, a side effect is the deer will use the trails too, so it gives me a bit of control over their movements and where to expect them. Not always an option, but always a good one when it is.

This is absolutely fantastic advice, thank you!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I didn't have adequate hunting boots for walking all day, I went ahead and invested in these. They have great reviews on Cabela's and Amazon, too:
http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/...slnthntrwp4fbo

I'll also be using these when my dad and I go after grouse---put the miles on them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.