Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stalk Hunting on Leafy Ground

Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
When I still hunt,I like to walk by putting my toes down first, then allowing the rest of my foot to come down slowly.
I understand that this is what the American Indians taught the white man.

....................That's good enough for me.

+ They "knew" how to best utilize everything.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-08-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
will not mentions a name, but I once went to a seminar held by a so called expert on deer hunting, His expert advice stated to rake trails through the woods that you wish to :sneak hunt " before the season---well I lost all respect for him at that point, if I raked hundreds of yards of trails before season how long do you think it would take to be covered in leaves etc---he was talking about a number of trails he would sneak in various wooded areas, must have been a full time job--I learned a long time ago, there are "experts" that only speak ideas, not from experience just thoughts !!!!!
A man that wastes time raking leaves isn't a still hunter. That's a man that is clearing a path to a stand or a blind. Most the really good still hunters I've ever met don't simply walk down any path. They go where the hunt takes them and they shoot deer where they find the deer and they are often nowhere near a path. Maybe that guy has "well Trained" deer that stick to the paths he maintains?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I am a still hunter and actually like to hunt in the noisy dead leaf conditions. The secret to successful still hunting is to go slow and be aware of everything all around you. Look for parts of deer rather than the whole deer. Going slow is the only way to accomplish that. Each step has to be planned and taken in such a way as to be as noise free as possible. My rule is to go slower than the deer. When it is noisy I often hear the deer before they hear me if they are moving. I take a step and then pause and listen and look all around even behind me. If deer are moving they normally walk but don't stop after a single step. If you have good ears and go slow enough you can usually hear them. Pretty exciting when you take a step and stop then feel something. I often feel it before I actually hear them. That feeling is your ears and brain pick up something but the sound isn't loud enough to actually hear it. When I get that feeling I freeze and that low noise my brain picked up turns to steps as the deer or other woodland creature gets closer. Hunting on a ridge is always tough until you get to the top because often the wind is going up the ridge. Once on top it can be a great hunt sneaking along the ridge and peaking down. Deer will often bed right on the bench at the top looking along the ridge and getting the wind coming up the ridge.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all of your great advice (and keep it coming if you haven't chimed in, already)---it means a lot to be able to vet the stuff you read in the NRA and NAHC seminar publications.

I will definitely be facing the challenge of hunting a ridge; that's what practically the whole property is! The good thing is that if nothing comes of the ascent, I can peek over into the National Forest lands and see if I can see a deer bedded down.

One quick question I have is this: does wind always go up the ridge, or does it tend to go uphill in the morning/daytime and move downhill in the late afternoon/evening?
Old 08-28-2016, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

The wind is where it is dependent on time of day, the terrain and many other factors. Generally warm air rises and cooler air descends but terrain plays into that along with prevailing winds. I always do my still hunting into the wind or at least if going down wind have a plan such as working along the ridge when you get there. I have had some success rattling but you have to make sure if the wind is blowing that the down wind side is blocked by water or an open field. More often than not if it does attract a deer they will come from the downwind side and you will be busted and never know it worked. My most successful hunting has been still hunting and the secret is go slower than slow, use the terrain and pay attention to wind. If you have saddles between the mountains that would be a great place to sit for a while if you get tired. If nothing else still hunting gives you a good workout

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 08-28-2016 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added
Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

We often wind up crawling on the ground.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually getting to move (even if only at an incredibly slow pace) and do a good bit of high-altitude walking is what I love about it. I don't enjoy sitting in a stand beyond early morning and near dusk.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

My biggest problem when I am sitting which is rare is all of a sudden I start to think...I wonder what is on the other side of that ridge. By the end of the day I am often way too far from the truck. LOL
Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, last year dragging my button buck way downhill from halfway up the ridge---even with my dad's help---was quite a workout! I can't even imagine what it'll be like if this year I'm fortunate enough to shoot a deer, only this time 150 yards down the other side of the ridge, and then have to take it up, then down!
Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Slow and steady 10 to 20 yards at a time. Pull...rest, pull.... rest and eventually you get there or someone comes to help. In my middle years I had some that took me most of the day. Now I couldn't do it and would have to get help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.