Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Research question about deer hunting >

Research question about deer hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Research question about deer hunting

Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
Had an uncle once that killed a mulie buck with a thrown hatchet. While that worked on the deer I don't know as though I'd try it with bigger game.
I'm looking for some higher ground.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I use a Ruger 77 in 243 that belonged to my dad some times.

Just what the world need is a non hunter trying to write a story about some thing they know noting about and have to come to a forum to ask questions.

Try this on for size.
Remberance

My dad called the family together in March 2003 when he was 88 years old. He told us that he was not going to be fishing or hunting any longer and was dividing up all his things guns, rods and reels, lures and other equipment. He decided to just be the keeper of the camp. I had bought dad a Ruger model 77 243 for his 70th birthday because the Winchester model 88 284 was taking a toll on his face every time he fired it. Dad gave the Rugar to me along with a Ithaca model 37 featherlite 20 ga. I don’t think dad ever shot a buck with that rifle although he had harvested several does.
I decided to take dads deer rifle to deer camp in Nov .2003, I hunted 13 days of the fire arm deer season without seeing a legal buck. Early on a frosty Morning I set out for my favorite deer blind on the bay. Got in there and settled down with a cup of coffee and enjoying the view out over the bay as the sun started rising out of it. Soon the frost was melting and dripping off the blind roof and surrounding tree branches. I heard a road hunter slowly drive down the road glassing the cranberry bogs across the road from where I was. Just 60 yards down the road they would switch to glassing the beach on my side of the road even though road hunting in Michigan is not legal and the Property at that point on both sides of the road is private property owned by myself. About 9:00 AM I see a deer walking at the old waterline edge where the mini sand dune is. I grab my big spotting scope I use in that blind and see that yes it is a buck a 6 point. He is close to 300 yard away but walking and browsing along the edge my way. Finally he arrives at the cedar tree I have ranged at 100 yards from the blind. I set the scope cross hairs just behind his right front shoulder when he stopped for a drink in the tiny stream that flows into the bay. I squeeze the trigger and see him drop right on the spot typical for the 243’s I have shot with my reloads. I climb down out of the stand and walk out to him. He isn’t a heavy racked 6 point just decent and with the rifle dad gave me.
I call my hunting partner on the two way radio and tell him if he isn’t seeing anything He can bring my truck down the beach to pick him up. I get him dressed out as my partner gets there with the truck.
I wrote the story and was told by friends I should send it in to Michigan Out of Doors Magazine, They published it in Nov 2004. I had not told dad I had wrote a story just that I got a buck with his rifle. I should have given him a copy of the story as he passed away in June 2004 before the story was published.

Shortened for this forum

Al
Old 08-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just say "using his trusty lever action Winchester" and be done with it. That will fit well, while using the name Ruger is something that non-hunters won't even recognize.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-18-2016 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

While I generally agree with what the rest of these guys are saying about giving the character a gun your audience would be more likely to recognize, I support having him use a 243 chambered M77 for the plot you described. All it would take for the audience to have a decent understanding of the firearm would be a short but thorough description of the M77 itself and the hunter's personal thoughts on the 243 to describe the cartridge's sensible limitations to the audience. While it's true that a skilled marksman could concieveably kill, say, a Cape buffalo with a 243, it would require great knowledge regarding the animal's physiology, proper bullet selection, perhaps a backup rifle, and the skill to make a precise shot on a Cape buffalo from a field position. These are things that, to be honest, most deer hunters do not have when they venture afield. So, I think you have a pretty good idea.

Just my two cents, from one (hopeful) author to another.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM
Spike

I do appreciate the responses everyone has given me.