Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands? >

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Do you prefer hunting from blinds or treestands?

When deer hunting, which do you prefer to hunt from? Or do you even prefer one over the other?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

At this point in my life - for firearm season - I'm 50/50. Sometimes the stand is the way to go for seeing more. Sometimes there's not time or a place for a stand. Sometimes the wind ain't right for placed stands. And I've shot alot of deer from my feet. Overall I'm on the ground alot more than in a tree these days. Love my chair blind.

Now for archery, I'm in a stand most of the time.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

For many reasons I prefer to be up off the ground. Most game looks up much less than ground level. Being up can lessen your scent some.

Some spots you can safely set up a blind.

And the big one safety. Shooting down is a whole lot safer.

A person really has to train themselves to look way beyond what you are shooting at. More so when you are shooting horizontally or upwards. Tunnel vision is common, especially when looking through a scope.

Funny story about that. I had put up a short shooting tower maybe 8 feet tall, 10 feet to the muzzle. Maybe the third time I'd used it, just before sunset a really nice Buck walks by downhill from me, I scope him, set my trigger and get ready to shoot when I see a flicker of light directly behind him.

You really have to train yourself to look behind whatever you are shooting at, it may save you a world of grief.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer my climbing stand but have also found ground blinds quite effective. When using a blind, I fashion my cover using open burlap instead of folding concealed models.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I suppose the question really means tree stand or ground blind?

Now I totally prefer my blinds all at least at the floor 6 feet off the ground. All but one on skids so I can if I need to move them with the 4x4 ATV or a tractor.
I found just getting out of the wind allows me to stay warm enough to not get fidgety and stay all day.
I have a couple of ground blinds, one Ameristep, would not give you 39 cents for another for Michigan's firearms deer season with freezing rain, snow melting and freezing.
The second I like except for the weight has workable zipper due to being covered to protect from the above freezing crap.

Al
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 AM
Dominant Buck

For the most part I am a still hunter and work the wind looking for tracks in the snow when it is there. On occasion when the conditions aren't favorable for walking I post and watch an area and certainly like to be up in my climbing tree stand. If posted on the ground I usually stand or sit against a tree to break up my outline. Most of the time when I do that I am in the woods not on a field so a blind isn't necessary.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-06-2016 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

In a tree. You can see a lot more of the woods that way.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

In a stand off the ground, I didn't realize how many deer I was not seeing behind me and off to the sides until I got off the ground and saw how many were walking by me well within shooting range.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

I prefer to be up off the ground but since I hunt mainly public land and walk quite a ways back in I usually just sit up against a tree. Sometimes I'll lug a blind back in there if I'm taking the wife or kids just so they can be a little more comfortable.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

For archery i always was up a tree [Don't bow hunt anymore] ,in rifle,i just hunt from high ground. We have a lot of steep hills and small valleys here and it is easy to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.