Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Heavy for caliber for close range shots >

Heavy for caliber for close range shots

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heavy for caliber for close range shots

Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep chit happens constantly. I've had perfectly broadside shots with exits out the rear hindquarter. Granted every one of them was from lighter weighted bullets like in the 120gr range. Deer bones are harder/stronger than some give them credit for. That'd be why they make fantastic jack knife handles!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 AM
Spike

Or trade that 7RM for a 308 and use 180 gr. bullets. And then there is that excuse to buy another rifle. My experience with high velocity at shorter ranges is not lack of expansion but excessive damage, shots in the brush are often not perfectly broadside and the time you have to shoot is usually short.