Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Layered clothing recommendations >

Layered clothing recommendations

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Layered clothing recommendations

Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default Layered clothing recommendations

Was wondering what everyone's go to base layer and mid layer clothing for 20-30 degree temps is. I have been reading reviews and merino wool seems to be popular. Thanks
Old 03-27-2016, 07:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Merino wool is popular. I do wear it. But the temps for me need to be below 15F. I have recently bought sets of Warm to Mid to Cold base layers from Duluth Trading company.
I wear the warm base layer now 24/7. The material is fantastic. I appreciate the thumb hole crew tops. I refuse to own anything other. I t washes very well. Dries quick and stands up to a beating.

And Merino wool is expensive. But is is warm, washes well, wicks moisture away and that is what you want.

On some really cold days ice fishing this year I started with my light base layer and added a warmer (Merino) base layer over that. It is always easier to take it off rather than wishing you had worn it!

JW
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've been wearing wool..

since before they started wearing the "layered" look. Survived dragging out a deer in minus 10 degree weather, forty years ago.
Got to count for something.

I avoid the inventions of the new companies and avoid "hot named wool." Use no name wool; its cheaper.
In recent hikes this winter, experimented with the old and the new.
For the lower legs and ankles,. used some winter, old fashioned wool felt gaiters. For the hands, wore some 20 plus old military mittens. Mittens have worked for years for me on cold winter days.
Wore a new neck gaiter for the neck, the ears, and the back of the head.
I was so warm under my old parka, never did get around to wearing my thick wool sweater, as an under layer. Did wear, one day, an old polypropylene insulating shirt. Found it still works in 7 degree weather.
It seems you can only wear this stuff, if you remember it. For me its staying warm and saving money.

Last edited by Valentine; 03-28-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the older Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. with a wicking T-shirt underneath. They have newer products now which I've not tried. Over that it's either my old wool commando sweater or fleece. Then either wool or scent lock on top.

Merino wool is nice like JW said, but cost quite a bit. If it's out of your price range like it is for me. You can get buy with an itchier version of wool by wearing a wicking material underneath.

Good luck whatever you decide.