Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Basic gear for deer hunting?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Spike

I see everything is already said on here, but I'd like to repeat again about club membership. It would be really helpful, I think.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Old 06-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Spike

Most everything has been mentioned. You can do it with as much or as little gear as you like. The gear junkie in me wakes up when I decide to browse around Cabelas but at the end of the day I like to go in with as little gear as necessary, whatever fits in my pockets.

One thing that was not mentioned, which I think is probably the most important, is making sure you get plenty of range time with whatever weapon you decide to use. I know way too many people that only go to check their sights once a year if even that. Of course they end up missing or worse wounding animals more often than not. Personally I think it's irresonsible to take a shot at an animal if you haven't done all you can to max out your proficiency.

Good luck & have fun!
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

A pack - as in a ruck style back pack - for a day hunt a half mile from your truck is a waste of weight. Unless you're western hunting and day camping, a big hiking pack doesn't make sense.

For stand hunting - day hunt within a mile or two of my truck - I carry a small "tactical pack" (let's be honest, it's an F'ing purse...) for water/gatorade and food/snacks, plus a drag rope. I have a couple knives, a small first aid kit with Quik-Clot, and my binos inside. All of those could go into my jacket pockets, but I often change jackets during the day, and hate transferring stuff. With the truck so nearby, I really only worry about hauling nourishment and an Oh Schitt Kit. If I take a larger bag on such a short trip, it's because I have a sleeping bag inside planning to keep myself extra warm.

I didn't see many people mention a safety harness. If you're elevated, you need a harness.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

"If you're elevated, you need a harness."

Not really.

Al