Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I'm perfectly at using 20 year old technology >

I'm perfectly at using 20 year old technology

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'm perfectly at using 20 year old technology

Old 01-28-2016, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Does not matter how many deer a person kills a year to be considered a good hunter or not. Some of us have our set standards. I do not shot does I leave them for my city slicker neighbor's who use game cameras to scout and never set foot on the ground and never ever even see a buck except button bucks still with MaMa. I only will shoot a 8 point or better if I can only get one buck tag.
I have been hunting for nearly 55 years and all I have learned is put to use, and am not above learning new stuff.
But I do no own a game camera and I do put my feet on the ground 7 days a week 365 days a year hunting some thing. Except during a driving rain storm other than deer season.

Al
Old 01-28-2016, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I do not shot does I leave them for my city slicker neighbor's

Al
Well, I shoot a couple of does every year and I'm a long ways from a "city slicker." I've never seen a set of antlers I can eat and the only reason I hunt these days is for meat. So for me, does work just fine since they tend to eat a little better than a buck. So I leave the bucks for those obsessed with antlers for the wall. To me they are just one more thing to dust or to throw away.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

That was to make a point some people do not kill a deer because they have set stiff standards for them selves. Not that they are poor hunters.

In my area any green horn should be able to open their door and fill a doe tag.

Al
Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm fine using 250 year old technology...

Heck, my .243 is circa 1980 and I hate to tell you how many she has killed as you would think me a dang lier...
Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me it's all about getting your boot out there and getting some game. My Grand-dad taught me well, with his old time skill & knowledge. The new, modern tech is great, i use it, but it doesn't make up for skill.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
Killing deer, even good deer, IMHO is more about the spot than the skill set.
Seen too many idiots who score too often.
There is alot of truth to that. Location plays a huge part in killing big deer.

Killing a deer or many deer can be easy, depending on where you live.

The mystery of this post remains... he through out a riddle and didn't come back yet. LOL

It could he's talking about equipment... maybe he has a 20yr old compound bow... which by todays standards is ancient technology, but back in the day was rocket science. Alot of things have changed in 20yrs, all across the board.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
That was to make a point some people do not kill a deer because they have set stiff standards for them selves. Not that they are poor hunters.

In my area any green horn should be able to open their door and fill a doe tag.

Al
Where are you located Yoop? Just curious since I'm in Michigan too. I hunt in the Clare area and around Manistique. We've got deer but the numbers are down since those back to back brutal winters.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

In our deer camp we shun all modern technology. Here we are hunting last year in Johnson county....

Last edited by uncle matt; 03-31-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever,Anyway. It's all about your skill-set & hunting ability, plain and simple! The important thing is...... Hunt Man!!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hookeye
Killing deer, even good deer, IMHO is more about the spot than the skill set.
Seen too many idiots who score too often.

Some get multiple chances per season, flub a couple and then score.

I don't understand the mentality where a miss is OK. Sure it happens, but it should be a rare thing that burns the hunter's arse so bad he finds out why it happened and works to make sure it doesn't repeat.
I will agree with the location but there is still a lot of skill inviled to successfully harvest mature bucks or even does every year. Knowing the location, the pattern of the animals, if you are out west locating an animal, stalking them, drawing a turkey, coyote, bull elk within archery range requires skill. Now when it comes to the rut I would say that the location and timing applies more than skill do to there is no pattern what so ever.