Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bow Hunting Treestand

Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Spike

Default Bow Hunting Treestand

I am wondering what type of treestand is the best for bow hunting. Most of the ladder stands I use are difficult to stand up from and it is also very difficult to shoot a bow sitting down. So I am wondering what your solutions are to this problem.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Difficult, yes, impossible to get accurate from seated positions? Nope. It takes tons of practice to get accurate from strange positions and seated shooting is one of those practices that ALL bowhunters should get proficient at. I couldn't tell you how many times I have had to draw on a deer from seated position because standing up would have gotten me busted. I use hang on stands and climbers with both being designed for archers. Nothing in front like a shooting bar that would hinder a bow shot. Example of a great climber for archery http://www.lancasterarchery.com/summ...treestand.html Example of a great hang on stand that wont hurt your rear end or your wallet http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...stand?a=674535

On a side note, take a look left at my avatar picture and you will see the small problem of leaving your stand in a tree in Black Bear territory
Old 01-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Difficult, yes, impossible to get accurate from seated positions? Nope. It takes tons of practice to get accurate from strange positions and seated shooting is one of those practices that ALL bowhunters should get proficient at. I couldn't tell you how many times I have had to draw on a deer from seated position because standing up would have gotten me busted. I use hang on stands and climbers with both being designed for archers. Nothing in front like a shooting bar that would hinder a bow shot. Example of a great climber for archery http://www.lancasterarchery.com/summ...treestand.html Example of a great hang on stand that wont hurt your rear end or your wallet http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...stand?a=674535

On a side note, take a look left at my avatar picture and you will see the small problem of leaving your stand in a tree in Black Bear territory

That blackie may be heavier than the rating for that stand, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-15-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54

Thank you!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That blackie may be heavier than the rating for that stand, LOL!
Hey now! I resemble that remark

Originally Posted by tman599
Thank you!
Most welcome. Whichever you choose, always make sure you hunt safely from a tree stand by wearing a fall restraint system.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is a ladder hard to stand up in? What feature of it makes this difficult? I have hunted from ladders and standing was never an issue. We do "bungee chord" the shooting rail up against the tree when bow hunting.

All stands have positives and negatives:
- ladders are usually the most stable, but least movable, often taking 2 people to put up/take down. They can go in most trees, as long as you can get a "spot" in the tree to get the seat to without having issues with the ladder.

- climbers tend to be the most comfortable, and portable, but the most cost. They have restrictions on trees, such as no branches until above where you are going to sit. They can be made stable when sitting, some don't like the amount of work it takes to climb with them (abs or legs needed)

- hang ons are the cheapest often are very sturdy, can be heavy to hang and you need steps or some way to get up to them. Easily moved and can go in pretty much any tree (though I avoid pines cause of sap getting on everything!)

As mentioned, always be connected in case of a fall.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Spike

My climber is nice but it was pricey ($250...Summit at Dicks). It is also big and clunky and it hurts my back to climb it up and down and it makes noise to do that as well. It also looks like it will kill the tree in the long run. I can shoot standing or sitting though and it's safe. I would rather have several hang ons that I can just climb up and hunt on rather than the climber, but I can take the climber anywhere so I do need it and use it when it works for me. Not a fan of the ladder type....too big to move and doesn't blend in at all (maybe ok for gun hunting). I just bought a Summit Crush Stoop at dicks for 80 bucks delivered. I like a decent sized place to stand on but not having the foot rest...just gets in the way.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:09 AM
Spike

you should check on youtube, there's some awesome tutorials to make your own. it's lots of fun and a cool to know you did it all yourself.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Your Bow Hunting and wanting a good ladder stand that is easy to Hunt out of I suggest looking for one that either has the simple seat and no cumbersome sides or rails to get in the way or a stand that has lower side rails that won't be in the way when sitting or standing up.I have an Older Rivers Edge ladder,stand that has a larger platform to enter and stand on and the fold up seat to help in giving a Hunter even more room to shoot from.Then there's the Summit Climbing Stand that is even more Bow Hunter Friendly because it has a larger lower stand and a completely open Seat with no sides or rails to interfere with Someone thats Bow Hunting...personally I wouldn't feel as safe in this type Open Climber but as with any stand a Safety Harness should always be worn!

Shop around...go to several Sporting Goods Stores and see how each Style,Make and Model of Stands are designed and made to make the right choice on which one fit's Your Hunting Style and Goals/Needs.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-31-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go for a stand with a detachable front bar. I will shoot from a sitting postion until the shot angle makes me stand up and turn.